Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:24 am

Getting frustrated so need some help. Brewed a mexican lager (Mexican Logger Clone) and the beer is gassed, has head retention but is drinking flat. It's as if the CO2 is coming out of solution straight away. The beer is force carbed and was accidentally carbed too high @ 1.1 bar should be 0.9 bar. Interestingly I had this problem with a ginger beer that I brewed last year - just wouldn't hold any gas as well though it was force carbed correctly. For the lager I brewed with a very low mineral content in the water (water varies greatly here but I test before very brew and adjust). Also only other anomaly was that my brew buddy managed to mix the star san at way too high a ratio (2.5ml to ~700ml). Everything else as it should be. 15 other brews with no issues. Sorry for the lack of conversion but it's late here. Help pls!!!

PS have been scouring the net to no avail...
pjp49rg
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:15 am

pjp49rg wrote:Getting frustrated so need some help. Brewed a mexican lager (Mexican Logger Clone) and the beer is gassed, has head retention but is drinking flat. It's as if the CO2 is coming out of solution straight away. The beer is force carbed and was accidentally carbed too high @ 1.1 bar should be 0.9 bar. Interestingly I had this problem with a ginger beer that I brewed last year - just wouldn't hold any gas as well though it was force carbed correctly. For the lager I brewed with a very low mineral content in the water (water varies greatly here but I test before very brew and adjust). Also only other anomaly was that my brew buddy managed to mix the star san at way too high a ratio (2.5ml to ~700ml). Everything else as it should be. 15 other brews with no issues. Sorry for the lack of conversion but it's late here. Help pls!!!

PS have been scouring the net to no avail...


Are you experienced at kegging? I only ask to know what level of things to look into. When you say it has head retention, are we talking the head retention of a stout or a normal lager? I wouldn't necessarily think a Mexican Lager would have much head retention. How long has the beer been on Co2? Is it properly chilled? My only real thought is that the Co2 is coming out of solution when you pour the beer. This could be from it being too warm or maybe a beer line issue. What size lines do you have?
Brewshki
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:27 pm

Yes been legging for quite a while with no other issues apart from those mentioned. Beer @ 33F, lines right sized. Head retention appears normal. It's just that the co2 is coming out of solution too fast.
pjp49rg
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:07 am

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:36 pm

pjp49rg wrote:Yes been legging for quite a while with no other issues apart from those mentioned. Beer @ 33F, lines right sized. Head retention appears normal. It's just that the co2 is coming out of solution too fast.


Do other people perceive it this way too? My only thought at this point is that the way your perception may be that it is flat and maybe it isn't. Shooting in the dark at this point
Brewshki
 
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:38 pm

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:57 pm

33F is really cold, even for a Mexican/Vienna lager. In general, the lower the temp, the more the gas will stay in solution. That could appear as if its under carbonated, even if its not. I didn't do the math to convert bars to PSI or volumes of CO2, but I'd generally go 2.5 or so, maybe 2.6 at the highest.
What are you using to dispense? How long did you carbonate the beer? In my experience, if you do a rush job on carbonation, you get big fisheye bubbles and thin head that doesn't hold as opposed to a nice foam cap.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM2 Judge
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
User avatar
BDawg
 
Posts: 5001
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:27 pm
Location: North Bend, WA

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 pm

Other things to consider:

-gas leak in syste (bad regulator, bad keg posts/poppet valves)
-low CO2
-dirty lines/tap/glasses not "beer clean"
-detergent/rinse aid residue on bar glasses
Brian
KCMO
User avatar
mobrewer
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:11 pm
Location: KCMO

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Sun Dec 25, 2016 12:39 pm

BDawg wrote:33F is really cold, even for a Mexican/Vienna lager. In general, the lower the temp, the more the gas will stay in solution. That could appear as if its under carbonated, even if its not. I didn't do the math to convert bars to PSI or volumes of CO2, but I'd generally go 2.5 or so, maybe 2.6 at the highest.
What are you using to dispense? How long did you carbonate the beer? In my experience, if you do a rush job on carbonation, you get big fisheye bubbles and thin head that doesn't hold as opposed to a nice foam cap.


Yeah, I was thinking along these lines too Steve.

Any chance you can post a pic for us to see what you mean by "low" carbonation?
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 4065
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:41 am
Location: Fredonia, NY

Re: Beer not holding CO2

Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:00 pm

What's a bar? (besides a place to drink beer. lol)

Around here we do PSI, and 30 PSI for 3 days at 52F does the job. Then reduce the pressure to about 7 PSI for serving.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie
 
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:36 pm
Location: Stonewall, LA (near scenic Highway 171)

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

A BIT ABOUT US

The Brewing Network is a multimedia resource for brewers and beer lovers. Since 2005, we have been the leader in craft beer entertainment and information with live beer radio, podcasts, video, events and more.