It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: DMS in my Tripel!
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:57 am 

I use a large % of Pils (Franco-Belges brand) in all my beers and do a 90min rolling boil (not jumping out of the kettle) to drive out the DMS precursors. I'm also paranoid during the initial chill down that the SSM/DMS (whatever) in the steam/vapor will condense on the lid and drip back into the kettle so I chill with the lid cracked a little.

The forum members have given good troubleshooting tips. Does the forum know if different brands/types of Pils have higher SSM potential?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:45 am 

Medals: 1
Drunk of the Week (1)
Could possibly be the name of the brew?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:35 am 

I used to keep a very low boil, but since listening to the Brew Strong episode on DMS, I boil more vigorously than I probably need to. I also do a 2 hour boil when I use more that 60% Pilsner malt. Its the "better safe than sorry" thing for me.

The other thing is to chill that thing out very quickly. I use the JZ Whirlpool chiller from MoreBeer and am simply amazed at how quickly it chills. With SoCal groundwater (in the summer) I can get below 140 degrees in 2 minutes 15 seconds.

I've never had a problem with DMS in over 50 batches and I attribute that success to the three items mentioned above (vigorous boil, 2 hour boil, quick chill).

~widget

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:03 pm 

Thanks for all the replies. I will focus more on these points next time I brew a Pilsner Malt based batch. I'm going to give it a little time to carb up and see if it gets any better. I am also putting together a whirlpool chiller and will use it on my next batch. I was also curious; Belgian pale malt does not present the same issues of DMS potential as Pilsner Malt, right? Oh, and yes Dan, I am changing the name as it probably would'nt do you justice.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:35 am 

I'm in the same boat. I use mainly Best Malz pils malt in all my beers, 90 min+ boil, whirlpool immersion chiller, etc.

I've noticed the DMS flavor/aroma fades quickly after pouring. The flavor/aroma reduces as the keg is emptied and is all but gone by the end of the keg.

You might try venting the keg a couple times and see if this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:45 pm 

Thanks Quinn, I may try that. Do I need to difuse the Co2 out of the beer as well, or just the head space?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:03 pm 

If you are going to try eliminating it with CO2, You can try this: First vent down the keg completely. Then hook a "liquid side" corny tap up to your gas line and run gas in through your dip-tube. Vent through the pressure release valve on top. That way you are actually scrubbing the DMS out of the beer. It might take doing it a few times over a few days to get results. It can help but will also drive away some favorable aroma compounds.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 am 

I think I will try that process this weekend Chupa. I'm also going the get an ounce of Motueka hops and afterward, add a 1/2 oz of it to the keg in a mesh bag. I have not used it before, but I understand that it is a derivative of Saaz and offers a mild lime citrus note that could compliment a Belgian style ale.