Finally got my cooler/tun to stop leaking, so I jumped into it... 1st all-grain brew today. Had grains crushed a week ago (before i found the leak in the tun) based on a JZ APA recipe (10.5# 2-row, half pounds each of c15, c40, victory, and munich malt). Amazingly hit my mash temp on the nose: 170Â° strike water, 68Â° grain, no pre-heating of the cooler, leveled out at 152Â°. Used 4.5 gal of strike water, and got under 3 gal out of it in first runnings. Added to the amount I was already heating for my (batch) sparge water to make up for it, looking to collect 6.5 total, expecting to boil off 1 gal and trasfer about 5.25. I think I boiled off more than the one.
Magnum for bittering, Centennial and Cascade both at 10 and at flameout.
Took a pre-boil sample, put it in the freezer, and started heating the kettle. Got the sample down to 90, and the adjusted pre-boil gravity reading seemed to be right on what Beer Alchemy had projected.
The converted cooler seemed to work perfectly. I didn't see much of anything when I did my vorlof. Did a couple quarts and that seemed like more than enough. Using the SS braid and following Denny Conn's batch sparging method, I'm sold!
Immersion cooler got it down to about 78 before I poured it into the bucket fermenter and into a cold water bath. Waiting to get it down to low-mid 60s before pitched the Wyeast 1056.
*Edited: just took the OG: 1.057 @ 75. Adjusted is 1.058. Exactly on the f'ing dot! Just waiting for the mid 60s temp to pitch.
Fingers crossed... seems to have gone right though!
• considering: first lager
• drinking: JBA batch #2
• bottle conditioning: Best Bitter
• recent past: (AG) Rye IPA rebrew; rye saison; BCS Cal Common, Rye IPA, Tasty APA, JZ's Cowboy Altbier