Best way to chill ten G. My way SUCKS !!!!

Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:58 pm

So what is your method for chilling 10 G. I have a Thermonator, "hop stopper" and a pump. When I tried to chill the, till then ' perfect brewing sesion the entire thing got cloged!!!!!!! :x :x :x :x I was thinking the hopstopper would filter and the pump would push it threw the chiller and back into the kettel, then I would let it sit for 20 min and drain into the carboy. Not only did this not work, I will be VERY seprised if it is not infected now from all the atemps to back flush and swaping hoses to make something work .....

ANY HOW what is your chilling equipment and proses?

Tim
Last edited by TimCA on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TimCA

Chill Out

Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:21 pm

I was also using a chiller that clogged with hop particles constantly it was a nightmare. I made my own immersion chiller for like 20 bucks and it has worked great.

Side note: a friend of mine bought one for like 40 bucks at the brew shop and all of the fittings blew apart the first time he put pressure through it. I still haven't stopped giving him shit.
boise_brewer

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:17 pm

I brew 10 gallons batches as well and I use a whirlpool chiller.

I got the idea from some guy on the internet, but I'm going to claim it as my own as I don't think he'll ever amount to anything.

Results of my last chill:

Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 pm

:oops: But I spent a lot of cash... I't must work better!!! :shock:

Oh well, Any idea what size copper that is for the chiller part, and how long for a converted keg?

Tim
TimCA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:51 pm

:oops: But I spent a lot of cash... I't must work better!!! :shock:

Oh well, Any idea what size copper that is for the chiller part, and how long for a converted keg?

Tim
TimCA

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:02 pm

I use 50' of 1/2" copper... (the B3 chiller) and am also using a converted keg to boil in.

Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:33 pm

I heard on one of the shows that someone made another chiller to go on the outside of the keg and had immersion on inside. Hook up the out flow of the immersion to the chiller on the outside and help cool.
Carver

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:34 pm

Ya I heard that also but I brew in side and so I can't derect the water on the outside of the keg as I do not have a floor drain....
TimCA

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing