Brewing In Hell

Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:40 pm

This past Friday I brewed a Belgain Strong ale using the recipe from Charlie P's book microbrewed adventures. Living in the Southern California desert it was a nice and cool 113º. I almost didnt have to heat my strike water. To make a long story short(like my brew day) I started at 1pm and by the time my boil was done I was too. I was overheated dehydrated(the wits didnt help) and puking my brains out.(from the heat not beer) I ended up having to let my wort sit in my ice bath after running the chiller(my chiller is not that effective in 113º heat) for about 12 hours while I recouped. I pitched at 6am the next morning. What bad things can I expect?

And - - - are there any other So Cal brewers around here - Coachella Valley Brewers???? I need some brewing buddies...
mykafone

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:18 pm

You have my sympathy. I live in the high desert about 150 miles north-west of you at 2,500 feet.

110F in the Summer, 24F in the Winter.

As for getting dehydrated; how long have you lived out there, man?! Make your mama smack you for me.

As for your beer I'm guessing you weren't as careful with this brew as you could have been. My vote is ferment it out, but accept that you may be tossing it. If so, chalk it up to a lesson learned and brew on!

Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Proud Drunk of the Year Nominee ('08)
Beevo, "I burned my tongue."
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:50 pm

yea mama(my wife) did smack me for it. I think she thinks im an idiot for brewing in the heat anyway. Ive been here for about 4 years and thats the second time that has happened. Ya know I was trying to stay cool and drinking lots of water in between 3 beers over the course of an afternoon, but the second I started cleaning my mash tun in the heat it happened........ i have always had a hard time since i was a kid with the heat.. its kicks my butt........fast...................... I sure hope I dont have to dump it.. in the early days of my brewing I actually let that happen quite a bit cause i didnt know better and believe it or not some of those actually turned out ok.. time will tell..

ya know what else sucks - - getting decent yeast during the summer here.. FAT CHANCE!!!
mykafone

Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:27 pm

mykafone wrote:ya know what else sucks - - getting decent yeast during the summer here.. FAT CHANCE!!!

Just order from the Trizzle Bizzle*, man! They'll put little cooler packs in there for ya to get the little bastards home fresh!

Brew it,
Push Eject

* triz'el biz'el: n
Trippel B, B3 (i.e. Beer, Beer and More Beer)
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Desert brewing works best if you dough in with the sun up.

I live in hell too, and this past weekend SUCKED.
Sven
Butcher

Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:41 am

Yea I tried ordering fromt he trizzel bizzel with the ice pack and my yeast still arrived dead - I ended up having to go down to my local brewpub and and get some yeast there. For my last batch(the strong ale) I I just drove out to riverside to the b3 store.
mykafone

Re: Brewing In Hell

Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:49 am

mykafone wrote:And - - - are there any other So Cal brewers around here - Coachella Valley Brewers???? I need some brewing buddies...

Well, we're mostly in the O.C. area. But we have members from other areas as well. You're welcome to join us!

www.brewcommune.com
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Fri Jun 30, 2006 8:16 am

mykafone wrote:Yea I tried ordering from the trizzle bizzle with the ice pack and my yeast still arrived dead.

Really? Wow - Jonathan, JP, can you chime in here with suggestions for this?

Thanks,
Push Eject
Asshat of the Year ('06)
Doc, "Slow down."
Gadgets
CoVBS
Push Eject
Butcher

Next

Return to All Grain Brewing