Grainfather Brewing system

Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:47 am

Hi Guys, I'm new to the BN forums and have spent a few minutes reading some of the posts, and didn't see anything on the Grainfather Brewing system. I'm a grad student with not much free time, but still brew 3 or 4 times a week so I use this electric system to allow me to brew inside while I write.

So basically I use this thing all the time, for better or worse, and wouldn't mind answering any questions you have about its pros/cons, compasiron to my traditional 10gal propane system.

Cheers!
Microbru

Re: Grainfather Brewing system

Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:07 pm

I just got my Grainfather this past weekend but haven't had a chance to run a cleaning cycle on it or brew yet. I've read through the manual and watched the Youtube videos and it all looks to be pretty straightforward.

I am going to pick up some reflectix and make a jacket for it instead of paying the $50 plus $15 to buy one to help hold in the heat so it's more efficient.

I got this system because brewing outside in the winter sucks. I still plan to use my propane fired system in nicer weather, but it's nice to have the option in case it rains or is windy.

I'll let you know how my first brew session with it goes.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Please do as I am curious to hear what you think of it.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:53 am

I used hot water tank insulation and foil tape to insulate it, and it does work a little better. Using the lid to recover to boiling temps is also a solid method to keep a vigerous boil, but get silicone gloves to be safe.

I found that leaving my old copper immersion cooler in the boil the whole time gets you a better hot break and holds the temp at about 213 the entire boil, and helps hold material back from the filter during the cool down.

Edit: I have about 40 brews on this thing; if anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer.
Microbru

Return to Brewing Equipment