Re: Parti-gyle Show?

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:01 am

spiderwrangler wrote:
NHbeerscene wrote:But doesn't that throw every thing off? The two batches would be based on differing percentages of the sugars in the grain bed (ie 1st running's would be 70 percent and 2nd would be 30 %) I would think that would also change the hop utilization for each beer.

Not quite sure on the specifics of how RG set it up in there, but for a given amount of grain you could get a good idea of your initial runnings by setting it up as a no sparge. Flip it back to batch sparge, and that should give you an idea what you are getting out of the second runnings by subtracting the two. For the first recipe, I'd run it as a no sparge, since that's what you're basically doing. If you take that info and set up a second recipe using the same grain proportion as in the initial mash, you can adjust your amounts (as a work around) to match the expected gravity of the second runnings. That would allow BS to calculate your hop utilization, etc based on the expected gravity of hte second batch.

Guess I need to start playing with BeerSmith some more. I really like the parti gyle style of brewing and would like to make it regular practice.

Does anyone have a favorite style that lends it self to a second beer? Ie porter and brown ale.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:12 am

NHbeerscene wrote:Does anyone have a favorite style that lends it self to a second beer? Ie porter and brown ale.

While I haven't done it, I've heard plenty of people that are starting out with a barleywine and making a smaller beer out of second runnings. Keep in mind that you can always add additional character malts like crystal or highly kilned malts to alter the malt profile of your second batch.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:49 pm

So if I want to do a Kolsch, would I just find a similar style, add the gravities and grain bills together and then off I go?
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:08 pm

I feel that if you want to make a kolsch, you should just make a kolsch. The second runnings may be a bit too variable to give you the BEST example of a particular style, but may be able to hit a general target of 'brown', 'amber', etc...
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:45 pm

NHbeerscene wrote:But doesn't that throw every thing off? The two batches would be based on differing percentages of the sugars in the grain bed (ie 1st running's would be 70 percent and 2nd would be 30 %) I would think that would also change the hop utilization for each beer.

I imagine so, that is why I opted not to use those recipes yet and ask for clarification here, or on a show dedicated to parti-gyle brewing.

My idea behind the recipe formulation was using the same "master" grain bill for both batches (recipes) taking the first runnings for the strong batch. If I collect the right numbers and volume on the first runnings, I can proceed using my first recipe for the mash, boil, hops, etc. Then the second recipe would be for the weaker batch with it's own mash, boil, hop schedule and hopefully I would get the expected gravity, etc. for this batch.

This is where my problem arises...I don't know if that will work and how to estimate the correct gravity in each batch using BeerSmith. I am certainly over-complicating this issue, and I hope I am explaining myself in a way that makes sense to those who can help.

Why can't Brad (BeerSmith) just add partigyle to his mash profiles?

spiderwrangler wrote:Not quite sure on the specifics of how RG set it up in there, but for a given amount of grain you could get a good idea of your initial runnings by setting it up as a no sparge. Flip it back to batch sparge, and that should give you an idea what you are getting out of the second runnings by subtracting the two. For the first recipe, I'd run it as a no sparge, since that's what you're basically doing. If you take that info and set up a second recipe using the same grain proportion as in the initial mash, you can adjust your amounts (as a work around) to match the expected gravity of the second runnings. That would allow BS to calculate your hop utilization, etc based on the expected gravity of hte second batch.

Sounds like a good approach Spider...I will play around with my BeerSmith recipe / mash formulations to see how it goes. I didn't think about the no sparge on the first runnings...great idea.
Homebrewing Since (way back in) Dec 2007
Fermenting: Batch# G!0042 - DevilPhish 66.6 IPA v2.5.5
Keg 1: Air
Keg 2: Air
Keg 3: Air

If at first you don't succeed...then skydiving is NOT for you!!!
RokGoblin

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:07 pm

Hey Moscow, any idea if the brewcasters can do a show about this.
NHbeerscene

Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:43 pm

NHbeerscene wrote:Hey Moscow, any idea if the brewcasters can do a show about this.

You're better off dropping an email to him.... and would perhaps be something that might be able to be well covered on a Brew Strong?
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Beer Radio