Re: Arrogant Bastard Show

Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 pm

How about a Double Bastard? Anyone come close to cloning it?
ultravista

Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:42 am

I brewed this yesterday, following the rebrew #2 recipe. I hit OG exaclty at 1.066. My Chinook's were 11.4 to I used the full ounce instead of a partial ounce. It is hoppy and tastes great already.

It is happily chilling right now @ 69 with a slurry of WLP007.

Has anyone oaked their Arrogant Bastard? If so, share your process.
ultravista

Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:48 pm

I have not, but my buddy brews a mean oak-aged version of the CYBI clone. He uses med toast american oak cubes, boils them in several changes of water, then dumps them into the primary fermenter. He lets it go for two weeks in the primary only. Then racks to a keg for conditioning and serving. Has an even subtle oak component.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 03, 2012 2:29 pm

What is the typical fermentation time for AB?

Are the oak cubes in the same primary with the yeast? Can you ask him how much of the oak he uses?
ultravista

Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:12 pm

ultravista wrote:What is the typical fermentation time for AB?

Are the oak cubes in the same primary with the yeast? Can you ask him how much of the oak he uses?

Yes he adds about 1-1.5 oz of oak in the same primary with the yeast. Adding the oak at this time gives a little different effect than adding it after fermentation is complete. Its almost a more rounded effect. Fermentation time depends on yeast health and pitch rate, OG, and added oxygen into your wort. Either way, most fermentations (read as not super high OG's) will be done and ready to rack in two weeks providing proper fermentation temps, oxygen added, and proper pitching rates.
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:56 pm

brewinhard - is the oak added when the yeast is added, or later on in the fermentation?
ultravista

Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:42 pm

ultravista wrote:brewinhard - is the oak added when the yeast is added, or later on in the fermentation?

He racks his chilled beer from the boil kettle to his primary fermenter, adds the sanitized (boiled in several changes of water) oak, adds the yeast, aerates, and sets his fermentation temp on his controller. Bing, bang, boom...
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:30 pm

Fail.........again :(

A couple of things:

1. Jamil keeps saying it is special B only @ 10%. Not sure why they haven't brewed it this way,again? Is Tasty taking creative license again :lol:
2. Jamil says Stone is predictable in their hoping schedule, but then they go back to a staggard hopping regimine vs. 90 minute and WP only....?

Oh well, back to the drawing board......... :wink:
Hoser
Hoser

PreviousNext

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?