WHAT ARE YOU BREWING FOR NHC 2014 IN GRAND RAPIDS?

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:07 am

I'm not sure what to brew? What is a good style to brew for NHC? This is my first NHC so I am a total newbie.
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Re: WHAT ARE YOU BREWING FOR NHC 2014 IN GRAND RAPIDS?

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:16 am

I'm with the Motor City Mashers brew club make sure you check us out we always seem to have GREAT beers. The beers I brew may not be GREAT :cry: , but since I have discovered the BN shows (Jamil and Co.) my beers have greatly improved :D . hope to see you in Grand Rapids MI.
Trying to make the best homebrew, to pass across any ones palette!
chugly

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:23 am

Keep listening and your beers will improve. Like most things, it takes time to get things down pat.

As far as what to brew, there will be EVERYTHING there, so brew what you like most brew best.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:42 pm

If you're not brewing for medals, you're pretty much brewing for feedback. Either 1) Enter whichever beers you're happiest with to figure out how to make them really great, or 2) Enter some beers you don't love and can't figure out what's wrong with them/how to improve them.

Limited entries makes you have to decide what you want out of the comp.
Bobbie Dooley

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:43 am

I've been working on some hoppy beer recipes. Provided they turn out well I will probably re-brew for NHC.
On tap:
Secondary: Experimental IPA
Primary: IIPA, (Half of which is being poured at a beerfest!)
bustdbrewing

Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:39 am

Check with your club to make sure you have a variety of style, not just 20 IPA's. I enjoy trying different styles at club night, some classic, others a little strange (One club had a carrot cake beer last year that was outstanding).

If you have extra beer, consider sending a keg over to the BN booth to pour. We'll only talk shit about it when you're not around :mrgreen:
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:40 pm

Brew lagers or low abv stuff. There were very little of those in Philly.
breslinp

Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:56 pm

TheDarkSide wrote:Check with your club to make sure you have a variety of style, not just 20 IPA's. I enjoy trying different styles at club night, some classic, others a little strange (One club had a carrot cake beer last year that was outstanding).

If you have extra beer, consider sending a keg over to the BN booth to pour. We'll only talk shit about it when you're not around :mrgreen:

There was also a peanut butter mead that tasted like play dough. Don't make that.
Sergeant, East Cost
neckbeardbeer

Next

Return to Beer Events