Does The Brewing Network Club participate in Club Night?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:38 am

Looking forward to Philly 2013 NHC!

As I list The Brewing Network Club as my club I was wondering if the BN has a table for club night and how I can be part of that fun since I am a Philly guy.

Or, since you all will be doing BNA8 do you focus on that rather than Club Night?
Private First Class - Philly Division

Drinking:
Tasty APA
DFH 60 Min
CYBI Dad's Little Helper
Black Velveteen - Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting:
Barleywine
Lagering:
Notta
Next up:
brews for NHC
In the Funkhouse:
empty
atomicpunk

Re: Does The Brewing Network Club participate in Club Night?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:24 pm

They did in Seattle, but then again that was a lot closer than Philly. I had Tasty's Janet's Brown and Nate's Dankness. Both were excellent. I don't remember much after that... :drink

I'd be curious if they will ship out kegs, maybe piggyback with DOZE or whoever...
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:10 pm

As I recall, JP and BDawg led the charge recruiting BNers to step up and make a BN presence (as in booth, beer, etc) happen. Wasn't there, so can't really speak to it, but a dedicated Philly BNer or two would likely be integral to make it happen...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Yeah, we had club nite and several other things.

I humbly suggest that the local committee should appoint one BN Asshat as liason. He will be the point asshat in charge of the following:

1) Helping Justin scout out locations for BNA8. Generally, BNA is very little work as Justin and Moscow do the vast majority of the work. It is nice to get him to come to town months early where you can take him around and get him shit faced on the good stuff as he checks out BNA party locations.

2) Helping to lead 3 groups of volunteers who help set up and tear down for BNA8. I think you need about 15 to 20 volunteers total so that everyone can get some time off to eat and enjoy the party without spending the entire night working.

3) You need another set of volunteers for setting up and tearing down and pouring at club night

4) You also need a small 3rd group for setting up, tearing down, and pouring in the hospitality suite.

5) You need to coordinate the list of brewers and which beers they are bringing to pour for club night and the hospitality suite. This is a pain in the ass because unlike the other clubs who can simply bring all their kegs in 1 or 2 trucks, ours sort of sprinkled in. Also, there were guys who brewed and sent kegs even though they didn't go themselves (which was bringing it strong as hell but that meant that somebody else had to take charge of those kegs). We tried to hook folks up so that guys that were driving long distances (like Dirk and SGT Satan) could pick kegs up as they went. I think there were a couple that got there that way, but its a blur and I honestly can't remember.

Additionally, you have to work with the brewers and the cellar crew so that the kegs are properly labeled for which kegs go to the hospitality suite and which go to club night, so everyone needs to coordinate way ahead of time to figure out which keg will pour where. Also, depending on whether the hospitality suite shift is before or after club night, the kegs need to be properly dispatched as the cellar will not take kegs back. Ie, a keg that pours at club night goes back to its owner after club night. A keg that pours after the hosp suite goes home with the owner after the hosp suite. You MAY have some kegs that will pour in both places, but these are few in number and must be specially marked ahead of time and require special handling by the cellar crew.

I suggest that there is 1 point man that interfaces with J or JP and he has a couple helpers who concentrate on all the details of one or 2 of these events. Evan Burck was my right hand on all the BN stuff (THANKS AGAIN EVAN -- you kicked ass) as I also had other duties associated with the NHC (I was involved in a lot of committees).

PM me and I'll get you the whole list of things you need to keep track of.
(It sounds like a lot but it wasn't that bad).

HTH-
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:44 am

Thanks BDawg!
Private First Class - Philly Division

Drinking:
Tasty APA
DFH 60 Min
CYBI Dad's Little Helper
Black Velveteen - Oatmeal Stout
Fermenting:
Barleywine
Lagering:
Notta