Re: August is Bomber-a-Day Month

Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:54 am

Hey Tat, how was the 10 Commandments? I have a bottle in the fridge that I'm planning on opening soon.
"I feel sorry for those who don't drink because when they get up in the morning that's as good as they're going to feel all day."
— Frank Sinatra
Lars

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:47 pm

Lars wrote:Hey Tat, how was the 10 Commandments? I have a bottle in the fridge that I'm planning on opening soon.

Lots of stuff going on. a little funk, lots of raisin and honey. The rosemary, to me, is subtle or at least melds well with all the other flavors going on. Kinda flat, dark, and thick. I'm looking forward to trying the other bottle in a year or so.
BrewTa2
Global Moderator

Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:59 pm

BrewTa2
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:53 am

Those last two are right up my alley. i have not had the Panil how does it compare to other fanders?
The Iris is one of my favorite beers of all time.... along with Earthmonk of course
The time is near the mission clear,
Its later than you think, before you slip
into the night you'll want something to drink.
NHBrewer

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:03 am

NHBrewer wrote:Those last two are right up my alley. i have not had the Panil how does it compare to other fanders?
The Iris is one of my favorite beers of all time.... along with Earthmonk of course

I've had 2006 and 2007 and both were excellent and slightly different. I'll definitely buy more if I see it again.
BrewTa2
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:50 am

NHBrewer wrote:Those last two are right up my alley. i have not had the Panil how does it compare to other fanders?

Panil is an outstanding Flanders Red, IMO, but also the oakiest I've had. That's part of what sets it apart from some of the others out there. The sourness and funk isn't quite as developed as, say La Folie, but it's still very nice. Also, the 2007 vintage has more well-developed flavors than the '06, IMO. The '05 vintage is excellent as well.
- Julian Shrago
Owner/Brewmaster
Beachwood BBQ & Brewing
Downtown Long Beach
SacoDeToro

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:10 pm

BrewTa2
Global Moderator

Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:23 pm

SacoDeToro wrote:

Panil is an outstanding Flanders Red, IMO, but also the oakiest I've had. That's part of what sets it apart from some of the others out there. The sourness and funk isn't quite as developed as, say La Folie, but it's still very nice. Also, the 2007 vintage has more well-developed flavors than the '06, IMO. The '05 vintage is excellent as well.

I can't say if I prefer the '06 or '07, I'd have to taste them closer together than 6 months to say. Either one though is great. I'll keep an eye out for the '05. I'm glad the beer store guy in Chicago talked me into it. I went there to see if I could get some De Struise beers before they were on and we got to talking beer. He asked If I'd tried Panil from Italy and I looked dubiously at him. He assured me it was good. He was correct.
BrewTa2
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Beer Events