2-1-A back & black IPA.... sour?

Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:04 pm

I really like all the 21A beers and had high hopes for the back and black IPA... However, this beer has a strong sour nose and taste I was not expecting. Is it suppose to have such a sour taste? Maybe it's my novice palette, but something seems off to me.

The grocery store I bought it from has an awesome beer selection, but at the same time I've seen they leave beers sitting warm and I think some of them are on the shelf for a while. So that could be an explanation. Again, maybe it's just me?

I'll be looking for the beer on tap to give it another try or my local bottle shop that I know takes better care of their beer.

looking forward to seeing monk's blood on the shelves again!
dirtbikejunkie

Re: 2-1-A back & black IPA.... sour?

Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:58 am

I had one of these on tap recently, sour wasn't one of the flavours that I noticed so I think you might have gotten yourself a bad can.

The beer in what I presume was reasonable condition wasn't one that blew me out of the water, but sour it was not.
Thirsty Boy

Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:56 am

Sadly, this is not the first time I've heard of (or experienced myself) beers from 21A that have gone sour.
Usually, the beers are top notch. Occasionally, I have found some that are not.

Hopefully Sully will work to fix this problem soon. We BNer's will forgive him but unfortunately, this is the sort of thing that many others do not forgive :( .
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sun Oct 10, 2010 12:09 pm

My tasting notes for BiB say "fishy flavor." Not undrinkable, but not good. Of the few 21A beers I've tried, Brew Free or Die IPA is far and away the best.
944play

Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:18 pm

their ipa might be my favorite beer right now, but the last 6'er of WW I got had to be poured down the drain, not drinkable. that doesn't stop me from continuing to buy the ipa
Private BN Army,
Mini Batch Division.:bnarmy:

primary:
secondary:
bottled: Autumn Maple clone (came out awesome), and Jamil's baltic porter
kegged:
on deck: more beer ya dummy
straight cash homey

Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I have had this beer a couple of times both times in cans. The first time the beer was good and it was right after it was released. I had a can that had been sitting around for a while and it was sour. It isn't supposed to be sour. I love 21 A beers and this was the first time I have expirienced any quality issues. Could be a wierd batch.
BrewLikeYouMeanIt

Return to Beer Reviews