Boulevard Tank 7

Fri May 21, 2010 6:15 am

It was "buy the beer keep the glass" night at one of the better beer place in Dallas last night, the Libertine. Tank 7 was the beer, which kind of disappointed me because I haven't loved saisons. When I arrived a few of my buddies were already there and I saw the glasses blvd had sent - very nice rastal stemmed goblets. They were thin, 25cl glasses with a pretty small logo on them. Very nice, subdued and tasteful.

Mine arrived and was cloudyish orange with about a 2 finger white head. The aroma was citrus orange, earth and even a little herblike basil. Very nice. The first taste was pretty shocking - this wasn't bracingly dry like I remember saisons to be. It started out very fruity and finished peppery and a little sweet and spicy. The head dissipated and left a nice lacing on the glass as I drank it. I ended up having 3 and loving them. I didn't even bother trying anything else, just stuck with that beer.

Very recommended, but bear in mind, I'm not a saison connoisseur, so others who are -- I'd be interested in your thoughts. I'm going to buy a bottle soon for comparison, apparently this is going to replace their normal saison in their smokestack series.
"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Re: Boulevard Tank 7

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:14 am

Nice. Gotta love a free glass you can actually use that doesn't look stupid.

I've just started getting into tasting Saison's as well. They are nice summer beers in my opinion. The selection where I live is pretty thin though. With that said, I believe it is only the Tank 7 that I can get my hands on. I may have to check it out per your recommendation. I'll give ya my thoughts if you want.

You ever brew a Saison?
mikebiewer

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:54 pm

Never had the Tank 7, but IMHO saisons can be very different depending on the brewers. I've had some with bret, some with spice, some that tasted like they had some acidulated malt and some that were just plain nasty. One of my favs is Brasserie Ellezeloise saison. http://www.brasserie-ellezelloise.be/bieres-uk.shtml Anyway I think that Saisons are as different as the brewers who make them. Keep tying them you may find more you like and then can taylor your own recipe to taste.

Prost!

and thanks for the recomendation If I can ever get boulevard around here I'll pick it up.
Main Entry: zymurgist
Part of Speech: n
Definition: a scientist who studies the chemical process of fermentation in brewing and distilling; also, by extension, a brewer
Pharmbrewer

Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:18 am

I enjoyed a bottle of Tank 7 a couple of days ago. It was part of the 14 bottles my beloved got me as an anniversary present (http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20732&sid=7779b9e3548d51e5577906cabba36f63)

I'm through about 9 of these by now and the Tank 7 is my fave so far. I really wasn't a huge saison fan, but this is the best I've had. It's also probably the best example of any beer that combines Belgian yeast profile with some us hops, at least that I've had. I'll bet it's even better on draft.
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:52 am

I bought a bottle of Tank 7 in Kansas City on the way to NHC. Sounds like what I'll be drinking after work today. Thanks for the reminder.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:09 pm

I ran into BN listener Chad Mace in a St. Louis bottle shop (http://stlhops.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2498) and he recommended the Tank 7 to me for a tasting I was doing at a party. It was very good. I'd buy it again.

Tasty
yep, yep, yep, yep

Next up:
JBA Light
Fermenting:
nada
Serving:
Rauchbier (ugh!)
TastyMcD

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:34 pm

Took some photos of the glass the last time I had it a few weeks back.

"You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas."
mookie1010

Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:55 pm

That looks wonderful! Wish I could get it in my town.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Beer Reviews