JZ's Hop Hammer out of BCS.

Fri May 09, 2014 2:29 am

Sup brewing Family,

A quick question about aging this brew. I've been kegging for some time and I like my swill. But one friend says that my biers have a bit of greeness to them. I tried and aged a few and I think it did help. So now I'm about to brew this Hop Hammer and was wondering how long should I age this one, high Abv and a gang of hops?

Everything I know about brewing tells me that with the high Abv age it but all this lovely hops want me to drink them fresh! Please any help would be great, hope y'all have a great weekend.

Daddy Biers!
Daddy Biers

Re: JZ's Hop Hammer out of BCS.

Fri May 09, 2014 2:45 am

Depends what the "green" flavor is coming from. If it's cidery, it's likely due to poor fermentation. If it's grassy, it could come from ample hopping. There's not much you can do about the latter, especially with a heavily hopped IPA. However, the former is easily fixed with appropriate yeast pitching rate and temperature control of the fermentation. To me, those are the 2 most important things in brewing (obviously sanitization helps, but that should go without saying). Aging won't do much to repair a poor fermentation, and an IPA should be enjoyed fresh. Since you have BCS, turn to page 285 and read Appendix A. Hope that helps.
JoeBeer100

Fri May 09, 2014 5:36 am

Daddy Biers wrote:Sup brewing Family,

A quick question about aging this brew. I've been kegging for some time and I like my swill. But one friend says that my biers have a bit of greeness to them. I tried and aged a few and I think it did help. So now I'm about to brew this Hop Hammer and was wondering how long should I age this one, high Abv and a gang of hops?

Everything I know about brewing tells me that with the high Abv age it but all this lovely hops want me to drink them fresh! Please any help would be great, hope y'all have a great weekend.

Daddy Biers!

Often when people say a homebrew is "green", they are tasting the excess yeast still in suspention. I would suggest using some finings and/or cold crashing the fermentor prior to transfer to kegs. Other option is giving the beer plenty of time to have the yeast flocculate, which is what you have been doing above.

Drink the Hop Hammer as fresh as possible. Not that it will be bad with age, it is just so damn good fresh.
Eagle Dude

On Tap: Barrel Fermented Berlinerweisse 3.2%; American Pale Ale 6.3%, Amarillo Blond 5%
Aging: Flander's Red in a 60 gallon Merlot barrel
Fermenting: Robust Porter 6.5%
EagleDude

Fri May 09, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks for the quick replys! You guys are always there :drink ! Once again thanks for the tips.
Daddy Biers

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles