What are IPAs like in Wisconsin?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:19 pm

I'll be entering the American IPA category in the MCAB competition in April, which is in Waukesha, Wisconsin this year. My recipe did well enough in Houston, but I'm wondering if I should tweak it to suit the palates of the judges there. Has anyone here observed a preference for a particular style of American IPA in Wisconsin? Is it more west coast, east coast or something in between?
leaky_porch

Re: What are IPAs like in Wisconsin?

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:36 pm

They're blonde, smell like cheese & talk with a subtle Minnesotan accent, don't cha know. :wink:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:45 pm

Ozwald wrote:They're blonde, smell like cheese & talk with a subtle Minnesotan accent, don't cha know. :wink:

If that's the case, then I'll stick with the recipe I have :jnj
leaky_porch

Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:44 pm

The IPAs here taste faintly of Miller Lite
Alcohol for me is not a problem, its a solution. And I need to solve about twelve problems tonight.
Scharf

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:08 am

I'm sure there are some regional variations, but I don't think they are going to be as drastic as JZ bitches and moans about. He hasn't been actively competing in a while now, and many breweries have wider distribution, coupled with the exchange of information and recipe ideas among home and commercial brewers has likely lead to judges with a broader experience than in his day.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:08 pm

Here in Misery we like no coast.
Brian
KCMO
mobrewer

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:14 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:I'm sure there are some regional variations, but I don't think they are going to be as drastic as JZ bitches and moans about. He hasn't been actively competing in a while now, and many breweries have wider distribution, coupled with the exchange of information and recipe ideas among home and commercial brewers has likely lead to judges with a broader experience than in his day.

I can't speak to the IPAs in Wisconsin, but I can tell you that the regional variation from California to Colorado is still huge. Most of the Colorado IPAs to me taste sweet, with a significant flavor contribution from crystal malt and subdued hop aroma. What's interesting is that often by the time they make it to Colorado, many of the California IPAs are badly oxidized and taste similar to the Colorado beers. I was successful with west coast IPAs in competition in California and the same beers did not score well in local Colorado competitions.
maxwell

Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:57 am

maxwell wrote:
spiderwrangler wrote:I'm sure there are some regional variations, but I don't think they are going to be as drastic as JZ bitches and moans about. He hasn't been actively competing in a while now, and many breweries have wider distribution, coupled with the exchange of information and recipe ideas among home and commercial brewers has likely lead to judges with a broader experience than in his day.

I can't speak to the IPAs in Wisconsin, but I can tell you that the regional variation from California to Colorado is still huge. Most of the Colorado IPAs to me taste sweet, with a significant flavor contribution from crystal malt and subdued hop aroma.

+1

I was down in Colorado Springs in January sampling beers and let's just say the local IPAs, minus Pikes Peak Brewery were highly forgettable as far as their hop character and highly memorable for their hearty crystal malt character. Darker beers faired well but the IPAs were consistently disappointing.
Afterlab

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles