Re: Extra special bitter

Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:28 am

rossiski wrote:Ok I am going to brew this in a week or so. The recipe has been tweaked a little bit. I am using delta instead of first gold. Most of my bittering will come from target but I am think about doubling my flameout hops (1 oz EKG and 1oz delta). I am planning on whirlpooling hot for about 20 mins before chilling.Given the hop schedule in my first post will this make the beer too far out of style?

I'd say your original recipe had plenty of hops, no need for any more, and even with the original hops, the whirlpool will add another ~15 IBUs, so your malt to bitterness balance will be thrown off-kilter. You can try the whirlpool thing if you like, but it's probably not necessary or appropriate if you want to stay a little more true to the style -- I mean, I don't think the Brits would be doing this, and I'm certain the beer would no longer score well in competition as a special bitter as it will be way too bitter. But it's your beer, so do what you like. If you do want to whirlpool, maybe take the Target addition down to about 0.5 to 0.75 oz to help keep things in balance. Personally I'd go 0.5 oz.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:44 am

I guess too much hops will cloud the yeast character associated with this style? Perhaps I will back off to an oz each at flameout and then chill immediately?
rossiski

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:55 am

These are just my humble opinions, so take them for what they are worth. A short whirlpool wouldn't be a bad idea in my opinion, maybe 5 minutes. But I think 20 minutes would throw things off balance. My main point is... "more hops" does NOT always equal "better". I understand it's the American way, but... it depends on whether you want to brew an Americanized version of the style, or be true to style. Or if you don't care about style at all, then just do whatever you like. This is actually an important concept. I tend to agree with good old Graham Sanders who always said, "brew the beer YOU want to drink". Personally I usually try to brew to style, but it would be wrong for me to insist that everyone else on the planet must brew to style at all times. I guess what I'm really saying is that IF you care about style, then my suggestions are more valid than if you don't.

Just trying to help.
Dave

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption. Let us give praise to our Maker, and glory to His bounty, by learning about... BEER!" - Friar Tuck (Robin Hood - Prince of Thieves)
dmtaylor

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:33 am

From my experiences drinking lots of bitter in the UK they are far less sweet, a little more bitter and way hoppier than americans think. Your beer would not be out of place.

I also would recomend keeping the ferment temp around 65 or 66. You will still get some nice esters but not the fruit salad of poorly fermented homebrew.
dannypo

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles