Parti-Gyle for Fuller's Golden Pride/Chiswick

Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:30 am

Been wanting to try the Parti-Gyle approach to make the Barley Wine / Ordinary Bitter combo.
There are threads about the ESB/Pride combo, and some that mention the different cominations that make all 4 of the beers that come from the recipe.
I know it's supposed to be 95% 2 Row and 5% C75, First half of runnings to the Barley Wine, 2nd Half to OB....

When ramping up the recipe, what OG should I shooting for, an average of the 2?
Or is there a link to the actual recipe that was already scaled that would work?

Also, the Hops adds for the 2 boils, are they listed anywhere I can't find?

Thanks in advance for any assistance?

NB
NoBeard

Re: Parti-Gyle for Fuller's Golden Pride/Chiswick

Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:14 am

Are you using Beersmith or some other software? What I have been told is to make 3 recipes one for the big beer, one for the small beer and one with the combined grain bill. This gives you all your numbers.

The partygyles I have done (Belgian Golden Strong/Belgian Table Ale) in the past have all required some reblending of the worts to get where I wanted to be. I suppose that if you new the gravity and volume as you were pulling the first runnings you could stop at say 1.080 in 3 gal and the know that by adding 3 more gal you would be at 1.040ish ( V1 x G1 = V2 x G2). I know these aren't the numbers you are looking at but just an example

I am still working out this process and I wish they would do a show on it.

Good luck.
Oddball Brewing Company - A nano start up in Pembroke NH http://www.oddbbrewing.com
NHbeerscene

Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:19 am

The OG blending is where I started out in beersmith, then I started wondering about the gravity of the runnings, and I don't think that the gravity of the wort diminishes on a linear basis, as in, half way through the runnings it's not likely to be half way between the running start and the running finish gravity.
I think it is likely the first runnings are significantly higher then the running gravity drops rapidly, then smooths out.

The solution I'm working on right now is to reverse engineer a bit...

The Barley Wine is listed at 8.5% ABV and the Ordinary Bitter is listed at 3.5%.
Seems to me that working on a malt bill that should produce a combined ABV of the average of the two (6%), should provide the correct amount of sugar to get half of the wort to the target OG's and ABV's...Make any sense?

Doing that, I beersmithed the 95/5 grain combo up another 10 pounds fromt the OG blend and hit a predicted 6% blend.

I'm planning on 30 gallons of wort to do 15 gallons of each, so I figure if I transfer the first 10 gallons into one of my conicals to store it, the next 10 gallons in to the brew kettle, take readings and see if the lighter one needs to be boosted or dropped at that point I can choose whether to move some from the conical or more from the MT, in the end, I should be able to get 15ish in each vessel that "should" be close to the og's of the individual recipes.

I think. LOL

NB
NoBeard

Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:35 am

OK, this is very interesting research I think...
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

It's a more beer Brewing Techniques Article with a link to this table.
http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.2/moshertable.html

It shows a 50/50 split of a 1.065 wort will produce 1/2 og of 1.0867 and one half og of 1.0433.

That's pretty close to the London Pride 1.086 and Chiswick of 1.040.

When I did the 6% calculation from the last post I ended up with a base batch og of 1.057 in the calculator, so I'll need to boost it some more again.

Interestingly, if you look at the 1/3-2/3 split columns, my calculation of 1.057 would have been just about bang on.

Might just do it that way, end up with 20 gallons of OB and 10 gallons of BW.

NB
NoBeard

Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:43 am

In case anyone searches for this recipe again, here is what I've come up with...

30 Gallon total Mash.

Parti-Gyle Mash...
58 lb Maris Otter
3.25 lb Crystal 75

Mash in 80.5 Quarts to achieve 148 F temp for 60 mins.
Fly sparge with 20.5 Gallons 168 F

Collect 11.5 gallons of first runnings and 22 gallons second runnings.

Blend back and forth to get correct pre boil gravities of 1.076 and 1.037.
I'm planning to worry about gravity more than volumes, but the 1:2 split should be very close according to the research...we'll see.

Boil with hop additions that are based on 10 gallon and 20 gallon finished batches as follows..

Golden Pride (10 Gallons og 1.086)
60 min 1.75 ounces Target 11% AA
15 min .75 ounces Northdown 8.5%
15 min .75 ounces Challenger 7.5%
0 min 2 ounces EKG 6.1%
Dry Hop 2 ounces EKG 6.1% in Primary
Dry Hop 2 ounces EKG 6.1% in Secondary

Chiswick (20 Gallons og 1.040)
60 min 1.8 ounces Target 11% AA
15 min 1.1 ounces Northdown 8.5%
15 min 1.1 ounces Challenger 7.5%
0 min 2 ounces EKG 6.1%
Dry Hop 2 ounces EKG 6.1% in Primary
Dry Hop 2 ounces EKG 6.1% in Secondary

I have bottles of the Chiswick on the way here from England via a relative on vacation, and will be able to repeat another import in October, so likely will get some of the Golden Pride then.

NB
NoBeard

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles