Using Apple cider in a wheat beer?

Sun May 05, 2013 6:50 pm

I have found my go to store bought summer beer for this year, Shocktop Apple Crisp Honey Wheat. I can believe how good it is, I never thought I would say that about an AB beer. At any rate, I was thinking about trying to clone this beer, making a Wit beer and adding apple cider because the beer has a strong apple cider/spice taste. What do you think? I was thinking of adding maybe 30% the volume of Apple Cider. The beer has a little tartness to it, I would love to bring more of that out so it was a bit less sweet.
Jason.

tap:Alesmith IPA
carboy:Sour Blonde, Rye Saison w/Brett
bottld: Tripel A,Tripel B,Sour Blonde,Hef, Saison w/Brett
OnDeck:Brown Ale
Longtermferm:

"They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!,"Nacho
crashlann

Re: Using Apple cider in a wheat beer?

Sun May 05, 2013 7:31 pm

A thought. A rather drunken, can't sleep so I cracked another one thought. Why not replace some of the brewing water with juice/cider? It'll definitely take some of the sweetness out. My first thought, without going to software to dial it in, is increase the water:grist ratio so most of the fermentables come from there & slightly oversparge with the juice. Second thought is to cut the efficiency, get 2/3's of pre-boil kettle volume with a traditional mash & top off with juice/cider. I'd say you've got numerous options to play with. Try it & report back to the army with your findings. Just take plenty of notes & measurements. We'd appreciate it.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun May 05, 2013 8:37 pm

Boiling cider will set your pectins, and may contribute some additional haze to the finished beer, but in a wheat this would likely be unnoticeable.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 9:40 am

Agree with the Spider. Don't boil that juice. You could always start with the goal of finishing the boil with a high gravity and add the juice prior to pitching yeast. Then your OG could be adjusted with juice. If you get good gravity from juice 1.060 like I do, you may be able to complete at 1.060 wort and just plan out the final volume.

I think I would make an excellent beer and and excellent cider, separately, and then blend to taste. That way if you don't like the blend, you aren't stuck with a mixed volume of something you don't like.
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Mon May 06, 2013 9:58 am

Pansies. If it wasn't a wheat beer, I'd say no boil, but since it is go for it. You could even use finings to pull out the yeast flavors & still have a hazy wheat beer. Honestly, it's not even a new idea, I've heard of several brewers using apple juice as brewing liquor & getting a great beer out of it. It won't be a clone though.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 10:02 am

Brewchops misrepresented me... I only said it WILL set your pectins, and may not be that big a deal in a wheat.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Mon May 06, 2013 10:17 am

Indeed I have befouled Spider's response. I do agree with it, though.

Along with haze, I am coming from the point that boiling apple juice will kill most of the aromatics and flavor that the apples bring. Why do that?
Corporal, BN Army
On Tap: Whatever IPA, Oat Stout, Cider, Citra-Mosaic Hopped Cider, Cherry Cider.
Aging: Black Currant Lambic, Oud Bruin, Eng B-wine, 65gal barrel of scabby 3rd runs w/Rosalare-Lacto Brux -we just call T.E.D.
BrewChoPs

Mon May 06, 2013 11:11 am

I've never boiled juice in any of my cider from the same concerns... persistent haze and lose of aromatics... the haze may not matter for this beer, but if you are losing the apple character, there are other easier sources of fermentable sugars.
Spiderwrangler

In the cellar:
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Next

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles