Wit Yeast choices

Thu May 02, 2013 4:17 am

Anyone ever used WLP500 or WLP530 (WLP510, WLP515, etc.) for a Belgian Wit?

I think it'd be a great beer to grow up some Belgian yeast, but there doesn't seem to be many other styles where WLP400 or WLP410 would be appropriate.

Perhaps an another way to ask this question is, has anyone used WLP400 or WLP410 in a Dubbel, Grand Cru or Trippel?
crazymonkey15

Re: Wit Yeast choices

Sat May 04, 2013 5:06 am

I don't think you'd want Wit yeast in a Dubbel or Tripel because it wouldn't flocculate enough. If your end goal is a tripel or other high gravity something or other I would just make a lower gravity version first to get enough yeast. A wit made with wlp500 would probably be good but when you make a wit you use spices and no irish moss so you might end up carrying over a bunch of junk in your yeast cake and it might throw off the flavor of your tripel.
-"You want a beer?"
-"But it's 7am"
-"Scotch?"
ziggy

Re: Wit Yeast choices

Mon May 13, 2013 3:26 am

A decent amount of the spices should be left in the kettle, and I was planning on rinsing the yeast after harvesting.

I may just give it a go with a small batch size (3 gal) and then brew a 6 gal wit once the 3 gal has fermented. I had heard that some people had success with WLP550 in a wit, but thought I'd throw it out there before brewing.
crazymonkey15

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles