Re: Trying to create my first recipe looking for some insigh

Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:07 am

madchemist83 wrote:Just want to add that u want to add ur extracts towards the end of boil with 15 min left so flame doesn't scorch it. Also consider using only one type of extract for now, I mixed wheat and light dme and beer came out tasting weird, like it was something between styles. Not that it tasted weird but I might have liked it better with just one type of dme

You can add the DME at the beginning or the end. There is a slight chance of scorching, but as long as you're attentive to your brew kettle it won't be a problem. If you do add the DME toward the end of the boil, you'll need to dial back your hops a bit as they're going to isomerize differently with the lack of sugars in the boil.

I've mixed DME quite frequently with no bad results. In fact a touch of wheat DME is a nice touch for head retention & slightly for mouthfeel as well. I would definitely change the dark DME in the recipe to pale & possibly scale back your darkest steeping grains a little bit as well. 2# of dark grains against 8.5# of DME is a little much IMHO. Especially with the citrus hop bill. Without plugging it into my brewing software, I'd think:

6.5# pale DME
2# wheat DME
12-16oz chocolate
8oz dark crystal (assuming you're at 120L+)
6oz english black

I'd also second BDawg on using Columbus @ 60, Centennial @ 15-20 & going with Cascade, Amarillo or Centennial @ 5-KO. If it were my recipe, I might even toss in a little Columbus with the 15-20 Centennial addition. Adjust for the IBU's you're after.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:00 am

madchemist83 wrote:JAlso consider using only one type of extract for now, I mixed wheat and light dme and beer came out tasting weird, like it was something between styles. Not that it tasted weird but I might have liked it better with just one type of dme

Keep in mind (as Bdawg noted) that most wheat extracts are going to be a blend that is only about half wheat.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:16 am

ever brewed it ? how did it turn out ?
madchemist83

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:22 pm

I did try it and it turned out terrible. but Im gonna try again cuz I think I did a couple things wrong.

1. While siphoning I dropped hose and put back in bucket. (May have gotten contaminated.)

2. I threw in some wild hops I got from a friend of mine at the bar the night before. (They looked a little brown and old, but at the time I didn't care)

3. I steralized bottles but didn't rinse with sanatizer. (Again possible contamination)

4. when I tranfered to fermenter my hose got clogged from the free floating hops so I just dumped the kettle into the fermenter with all the hops and let it ferment. (this made head foam come out like a dark dirty green tinge)

5. I tried to airate it with a pump and o2 stone but it was my first time not sure I did it right. (again possible contamination? or ???)

6. It was still hot out and my basement was only getting to about 78 degrees so I switched the yeast to a siason yeast. (could have tampered with flavor quite a bit? although I thought it would have been a complimenting change)

7. I was super drunk by the time I was halfway through and just started rolling the dice. (Think I learned a lesson there. probobly stay more sober next time.)
menace2sobriety

Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 pm

That's what nice about brewing is that we always learn something. Good luck next time
madchemist83

Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:32 am

menace2sobriety wrote:3. I steralized bottles but didn't rinse with sanatizer. (Again possible contamination)

Not sure what you mean here... if you TRULY managed to sterilize them, then sanitizing wouldn't be needed. However, sterilization is tough to do.

menace2sobriety wrote:7. I was super drunk by the time I was halfway through and just started rolling the dice. (Think I learned a lesson there. probobly stay more sober next time.)

I'm usually drinking something while brewing... but this is probably the root of a lot of the other mishaps you had during the day!
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles