Re: Belgian IPA

Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:48 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
scotchpine wrote:Hoppy Daze from Coronado Brewing. Fantastic! The best Belgian IPA I've had. I have never seen a recipe for this so I don't know what hops and yeast they are using. I think they really found a great complimentary balance between them. If anyone knows about this, please share.

From their website... Somewhat vague...
Grain: 2-Row, C-15, Carahell
Hops: Warrior, Centennial, Chinook
Yeast: Belgian

74 IBUs, 7.5% ABV

Although, I see some other places reporting the ABV closer to 9%... wonder if there are different versions.

Thanks Spidy, thats half the riddle. "Yeast: Belgian" is a little vague though. Could be Trappist or Abby. I do remeber some pear notes, maybe some banana.
"
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Since they had the guy from Coronado on recently, might be a good chance of getting him on for a CYBI...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:28 am

This seems like a good place to ask this question:
I'm brewing my third batch ever and my first witbier. At the end of primary, I have a very strong coriander flavor. Like Juicy Fruit gum. I think this is due to a couple of coriander seeds in the fermenter. Should I rack to a secondary to get the seeds out? Should I add more orange peel to counteract the coriander? Not nuts about that option, because contamination. Will the flavor mellow during, say, a month of bottle conditioning, or will it become less noticeable once the beer is carbonated? I'm really quite happy with it otherwise. It's my first drinkable batch, yay.
Mabel Normand

Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:19 pm

Beer_Baron

Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:21 am

Too little, too late I bet, buuuuut... http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/856

This beer is outstanding! I have not really had too many examples of the style, so I may not be the best person to ask. Also, they tried it on the Flying Dog session episode, so you can get their 'professional' opinion.
skerrydude

Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:08 pm

+1 BDawg

Chainbreaker White IPA has great balance . THe recipe is in the latest issue of Zymurgy.
"When you said you mounted animals, I thought you were a taxidermist!" -- petting zoo, Oskosh WI
DBear

Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:00 pm

Mabel Normand wrote:This seems like a good place to ask this question:
I'm brewing my third batch ever and my first witbier. At the end of primary, I have a very strong coriander flavor. Like Juicy Fruit gum. I think this is due to a couple of coriander seeds in the fermenter. Should I rack to a secondary to get the seeds out? Should I add more orange peel to counteract the coriander? Not nuts about that option, because contamination. Will the flavor mellow during, say, a month of bottle conditioning, or will it become less noticeable once the beer is carbonated? I'm really quite happy with it otherwise. It's my first drinkable batch, yay.

Leftover coriander seeds in the fermenter should not be too much of a problem as you will be racking over into a bottling bucket anyway. I do not percieve "juicy fruit" as a flavor of coriander. My guess is that is most likely from a warmer yeast fermentation with your belgian yeast. What temp did you ferment your beer at?
I would not add anything else to the beer for the reason you have already stated (possibly infecting it). Just package it as normal, and enjoy them once the bottles have proper carbonation. The flavors will mellow a bit especially if you spiced the beer on the heavier side.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles