Re: Sour Beer Virgin

Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:11 pm

12stones wrote:I picked up two bottles of Jolly Pumpkin tonight. The Bam Biere and their stout. I'll have to wait to try them though. Don't want to waste them on a weekday.

As a follow up, the first sip of the Bam Biere was awful, but then the rest of the bomber went down wonderfully. I'm in love!
12stones

Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:29 am

12stones wrote:
12stones wrote:I picked up two bottles of Jolly Pumpkin tonight. The Bam Biere and their stout. I'll have to wait to try them though. Don't want to waste them on a weekday.

As a follow up, the first sip of the Bam Biere was awful, but then the rest of the bomber went down wonderfully. I'm in love!

So you popped your... pumpkin? :shock:
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:26 am

Ozwald wrote:
12stones wrote:

So you popped your... pumpkin? :shock:

I guess that's better than being popped by the pumpkin.
12stones

Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

I think Rodenbach Grand Cru would be an excellent introduction to sours, as well as the also mentioned, Liefman's Oud Bruin.
dogismycopilot

Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 pm

TrickyDRD wrote:Thanks for all the tips! It's like learning a new language. I grabbed a 2010 La Folie from New Belgium and just finished it. Rather tart! Not a bad style. Just an aftertaste of Bleu Cheese (which i like). The price will definitely keep me from going overboard on these guys - plus I am not sure I could drink a second bomber.

Do I need to be careful of cross contamination???? I don't want to accidently infect my brewhouse!

DRD

Are you talking cross contamination from drinking sour beer in the same house where you make clean beer? If so, the answer is no. If you're talking brewing sour beer at home, you do have to be careful. People say that it is especially easy for brett and bacteria to live in plastic, so you need to have a second set of any plastic equipment that you use. I put red tape on mine so that there is no confusion and keep dedicated gas and liquid lines in the kegerator that only get used for sours.
maxwell

Previous

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles