Re: Bugeater's Oatmeal Raisin Cookie Amber

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:07 am

First off, congrats on the awards Bugeater!

Bugeater wrote:I plan to do a winter warmer version of it soon for next winter.

The recipe sounds fantastic. I was wondering if you have given any more thought to converting it into a winter warmer. I was planning on making something interesting for the upcoming holidays and that would be perfect. Could you offer any guidance on the recipe conversion?
EvilFrog

Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:28 pm

I've given it a bit of thought and even ran the idea past Randy Mosher last week who thought it sounded good. I plan to add a quarter pound of crystal 60, another pound of light munich, and then increase the maris otter to reach a projected OG of about 1.070-75. I will increase the hops to maintain the same BU:GU ratio. Everything else will remain the same.

By the way, if the guy who was taking notes at the Falling Rock on the recipe for a S'mores beer reads this, Randy and I were just pulling your leg. That would be an awful recipe. We were both drunk and having fun.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:17 pm

This sounds wonderful for colder weather! Do you use fresh cinnamon?
"It's really easy to make shitty beer."
jwatkins56550

Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:18 pm

Thanks!

I am planning this recipe for my next brew day.

Bugeater wrote:By the way, if the guy who was taking notes at the Falling Rock on the recipe for a S'mores beer reads this, Randy and I were just pulling your leg. That would be an awful recipe. We were both drunk and having fun.

Poor Guy.
Just out of curiosity, do you recommend adding the marshmallows at the end of the boil or is it better to put them in the secondary?
EvilFrog

Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm

EvilFrog wrote:Thanks!

I am planning this recipe for my next brew day.

Bugeater wrote:By the way, if the guy who was taking notes at the Falling Rock on the recipe for a S'mores beer reads this, Randy and I were just pulling your leg. That would be an awful recipe. We were both drunk and having fun.

Poor Guy.
Just out of curiosity, do you recommend adding the marshmallows at the end of the boil or is it better to put them in the secondary?

We never did figure that out. In the boil you would clog your counterflow chiller and that would be pretty much impossible to clean out. Adding to the fermenter wouldn't work because they would never dissolve. :? Mashing hot and adding lactose would probably be the way to go if you were to pursue this weird idea.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater

Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:46 am

Bugeater wrote:I've given it a bit of thought and even ran the idea past Randy Mosher last week who thought it sounded good. I plan to add a quarter pound of crystal 60, another pound of light munich, and then increase the maris otter to reach a projected OG of about 1.070-75. I will increase the hops to maintain the same BU:GU ratio. Everything else will remain the same.

As I am putting the winter warmer recipe into Promash another question occurs to me. Should I also be bumping the spices up in order to achieve the same spice:GU ratio of your original recipe just as you would do with the hops? Or should I be thinking of the spices as being more in proportion to a volume of the finished beer (in which case no adjustment is required)? If this is a dumb question, sorry. I am new to brewing with spices. Thanks again for the advice so far.
EvilFrog

Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:57 pm

Keep the spices in proportion to the volume, not the gravity. A little bump in the spices might work but you don't want to overdo it.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Bugeater

Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:44 am

I brewed this recipe this weekend...I think its going to turn out great but I did some noobish things when I brewed. First off I want to say that I'm using the biab method just to get my feet in the all-grain waters. I mashed as per the instructions for that method and at the end after I pulled the grains out I was left with 6.5 gal of water I took a gravity reading and seemed way low...Like 60% efficiency low but this was pre-boil so I thought perhaps I would boil for 1 1/2 hours and take it 30 minutes in and add DME until I hit the numbers...Well I did that added about 1lb of DME because the hydro #'s were still very low at 30 min in. After the boil and cooling down I took another reading and I was 10 points to high! I guess I just dont understand the whole pre-boil hydro reading I didnt think that boiling would change it that much. All was well though because I just added water to the wort until the hydro reading was spot on what your recipe called for. 3 days in and its already down to 1.016 and still chuggin away.

Were guys seeing very much of a krausen on this one? I only got maybe 2 fingers high and it already dropped back out.

Sorry for the long rant I just wanted to share my experience. :asshat:
Broners&Brewbies

PreviousNext

Return to Favorite Beer Recipes & Styles