servomyces

Thu Nov 17, 2005 6:58 pm

Would using yeast from a previouse batch at the end of the boil be similar to using servomyces ? They are dead yeast right ?
Frothy Man

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:00 pm

I think it is basically the same thing. Don't know for sure tho. Good question for Jamil on the next show.

Travis
A very silly place... http://yarnzombie.net/Travis/

Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-Dave Barry
Lufah

Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:35 pm

Maybe if Jay of Dr. Scott see this they can remember it for then. hint hint :wink:
"funny quote"
livetobrew

Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:10 pm

I seem to remember the BN show saying that the Servomyces was yeast grown with a high zinc content. So that's probably the major difference.
Danno

Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:32 pm

Danno wrote:I seem to remember the BN show saying that the Servomyces was yeast grown with a high zinc content. So that's probably the major difference.

Yes this is right, the brewers in Germany were looking for a way to get zinc into the beer. But all they could use were hops, barley, water and yeast. (Some breweries were using mash paddles made of zinc!)

So they came up with this special yeast w/ extra zinc. They would just add it at the end of the boil. Before it was approved, they had to prove that it could actually ferment wort. And it did, though it was said that the beer it made was pretty awful.

Cheers,
Dr Scott
Cheers,
Dr Scott

Beer colder than your Mom, Whiskey older than your Dad...
Dr Scott

Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:59 pm

Sounds like I would be better off pitching Servomyces or zinc. I'll have to find something else to do with my expired yeast. Vegemite mabey? :lol:

Return to Brewing Ingredients