Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:10 am

Like Jamil said though, just making a starter is the point. There are many ways you can do this. I have cold pitched and decanted before with great results. I did let me starter completely ferment out first. I have also pitched at the height of yeast activity. They both produce quick, complete fermentations. I mostly make 1 liter starters, if I did a gallon starter you can bet I’d decant the starter wort before pitching!
Peace!
pvignola

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:41 am

3,000 ml :shock: like 3 litres :shock:

I make mine up to about 600-700 ml

3 litres seems a bit much, thats well over 10 percent, like 13 percent of a 23 L batch.

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:58 am

It seemed like a little much to me as well, but according to Mr.Malty.com's pitch calculator it was just right. I was worried about strange flavors but nothing seems to be present.

My gravity went from 1.091 to 1.021. I am pretty happy with that. Tonight I am going to try it. If it gets nasty I will post the news. I did spike it with "BRETT" and bottled a few. In 6 months I am hoping for exciting things.

Thanks for the reply,
Carlo

I am working on a 6000mil starter for a 10 gallon ipa with an O.G. of 1.068. I started with one vile of WLP001 and have been growing it up every week. I have not seen any bacteria under the microscope yet and it is raging.
hopbumpingbrewer

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients