Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:20 pm

I am beginning to follow denny's rule of thumb.

make a starter one week before pitching... let it ferment out and put it in the fridge to settle out.
brewday= decant spent wort/beer and swirl and pitch.

This way your warmer temp fermented starter + maybe over arated starter volume doesn't pass on unwanted higher alcohols etc.
Also, if your brewday doesn't happen (or as planned) the starter can be left in the fridge till when ever, and if whenever happens in 6 months, you can make another starter or two with it.

Also I have read that pitching at high kreusen is controversial since you are adding it to a larger volume when it's ready to eat and not breathe/reproduce - you confuse it a bit, giving it oxygenated wort. unless your starter vol. is big enough that the yeast won't have to reproduce.

I usually make a 1-1.5 qt starter in a .5 gal jug with no problems and often split it for a ten gallon batch with no problems.
ionia ales

Thu Sep 22, 2005 7:30 pm

All I can say is I'm glad Kevin is still using that avatar. That chick is one smokin' piece of ass :shock:
"Make beer not war"

Currently fermenting: Firestone Walker Pale 31 clone
Conditioning: Nothing
On draught: Nothing

Watch episodes of BYOB TV: http://www.kofytv.com/byob-tv/archive/
BeerPal

Previous

Return to Brewing Ingredients