Thomas Fawcett Malts

Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:44 am

Hey, Anybody know where you can source Thomas Fawcett Chocolate, and Black Malt in Northern Calif.? I don't want to buy a whole sack, about 5 lbs. of each. I want to try and clone JZ's Shallow Grave Porter. I read he uses Thomas Fawcett Chocolate Malt, and mixes Fawcett and Bairds Black Patent type Malt at a rate of 50/50. Anybody brewed this using other Malters grains? Thanks, Michael
Michael Kelly

Re: Thomas Fawcett Malts

Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:35 am

I've gotten Thomas Fawcett Pale Chocolate from B3, other than that you might have to go Northern Brewer or Rebel Brewer. I know waiting on ingredients sucks!
Rufo B Padsworth

Re: Thomas Fawcett Malts

Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:39 am

WOW! after 136 looks and 20 days later I get a reply. Thanks Rufo. NB has the Pale Choc. But they are sourcing their roasted malts in house now. I found a HBS in N.H. (A&G) that had it but they wanted to charge more in shipping that the price of a few pounds of grain. Morebeer carries five of the Fawcett Malts, but sources Hugh Baird for their Chocolate, and Black Patent. Chis Graham are you listening?. The Country Malt Group distirbutes Fawcett,and Bairds here on the West coast. I might just have to have my LHBS add a couple of sacks to their order and split it up with club members. My LHBS carries Briess Roasted Malts. Like I said JZ says he uses both Fawcett and Baird's malt in his Shallow Grave Porter. Let's hear back on this from the BN Army.
Michael Kelly

Return to Brewing Ingredients