rye malt

Fri May 03, 2013 11:02 am

I'm getting ready for AHA Big Brew tomorrow (5-4-2013). Im teaming up with a local brewery to do a small 3BBL batch of an American Pale Ale. They're gonna mash in their tun but then we're gonna run the wort of into all the homebrewer's kettles. I want to change the beer up a bit and make mine into a rye IPA. So essentially all I want to do is boost the hops and add rye malt in my 15 gallon kettle. I know rye should be mashed, but I don't really feel like doing a mini mash on the side. Can I just steep the rye malt in my kettle to get the desired flavor and aroma profile from the rye?
LeakyPolynesian

Re: rye malt

Fri May 03, 2013 6:18 pm

No, rye is chock full of starch and needs mashing or else you will have a very unstable, starchy beer.

If you only want to steep to make it different without a mini-mash, why not throw some chocolate and carafa special II into a grain bag and turn it into a CDA?

my .02
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Fri May 03, 2013 7:24 pm

You could try some rye extract. I think I've heard of something called Rye Malt Syrup. That might work.
Come On Fulham!!

"...know your process, know your yeast." - Ozwald
BeaverBarber

Fri May 03, 2013 9:31 pm

Steeping rye would be like steeping any starchy grain... you'll get whatever flavors you're able to rinse off, but won't get the full goodness of it.
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Fri May 10, 2013 8:47 pm

Thanks guys. I took your advice and left out the rye.
LeakyPolynesian

Return to Brewing Ingredients