best way to fill a growler

Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:02 pm

Anybody got more knowledge then me on how to fill a growler. Seems silly to just place it under the tap and foam it up. I got some 3/16" tubing that I want to connect and extend into the bottom of the growler but i'm not sure on the best way to controll the flow of BEER.

Thanks man
sodevo

Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:09 pm

Out of all the bad things you can possibly do......I fill mine out of a jug :oops:

Have two at a year old downstairs now, no signs of infection. I don't recommend my way to anyone

Dogger
"The immense importance of a pint of ale to a common person should never be overlooked" From the Canon of St Pauls Cathedral
Dogger Dan

Sat Nov 05, 2005 7:31 pm

I'm afraid my only experience is with emptying them.
On Deck:
Primary: American Amber Ale
Conditioning:
On tap (kegerator!):
Fond memories:

Beer-gut: 38"
jaydub

Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:07 pm

I slipped a piece of 3/8" ( I think) tubing into my stainless tap. The tubiing has a stopper on it that will fit into a bottle or growler. You have to wiggle the stopper occassionally when the pressure in the bottle and keg isn't different enought to allow the beer to flow, but it seems to help a lot with foam prevention. It probably reduces oxidation too, but I usually am just taking the beer across town so I don't worry as much about that.
Warren
wrplace

Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:25 pm

3/16" won't fit on a tap. You need 1/2". Then just let it rip until it's full.
Triple Freak

Filling from a tap

Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:12 pm

You're on the right track(if you don't want to spend a lot of money on counter pressure fillers)
Cram a 1/2 in. tube up the fawcet and extend it all the way down to the bottom of the bottle. Chill the bottle to the same temp. as the beer or a little colder but do not freeze it. When cold beer hits a warm glass it blows off CO2 fast.
next, turn your pressure down till you have barely enough to move your beer. This hepls with foaming. I've bottled beer for friends this way and they say they notice no carbonation problems after 1-2 weeks but they aren't as pickey as me.
Road Mutant

Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:33 am

The brewpub I go to (Duclaw's) uses the 1/2" hose trick to fill all their growlers. They used to fill them straight from the tap until I showed them a better way to reduce excessive foaming.
Triple Freak

Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:58 pm

Not having a growler and needing to move some beer last night.... I took my ehrlenmeyer flask and tilted it (2000ml) a bit to get it uner the tap (drip tray in the way) and used the rubber stopper to hold it in place. The angle worked out perfectly and the beer ran right down the side of the glass. Insta-growler. Also, it doesn't tip over easy in the car and everyone thought it was cool as hell when I walked in with it.
fulkrum78

Next

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing