Storing kegged beer

Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:04 am

Just wondering if you can store filled Cornelius kegs horizontally or if they have to be kept vertical. Cheers
Crockett49

Re: Storing kegged beer

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:17 am

The problem with storing them horizontally is when you move them, the sediment will get mixed back up and will need time to settle before serving. There's also a minimal risk of getting beer in your gas line if you leave them connected. Hopefully you have check valves on your distribution, but the line up to the valve could get beer in in and grow something at a later time.

You'll also want to make sure you have a good seal so nothing leaks out of the top.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Re: Storing kegged beer

Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:40 am

Under pressure with nothing hooked up, I suppose you could, but as DS mentioned, my main concern would be stirring up particulate matter.

I definitely wouldn't have a line hooked up to them or try to serve them that way.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing