I think I fucked up when I bought this manifold...

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:56 pm

So a few months ago, in eager anticipation of buying my kegging system for my new ferment-o-keggerator, I picked up this. It seemed to be exactly what I needed and I think the total came out to $25 bucks shipped. "What a deal!" I said, and eagerly scooped it up.

Well, there was a catch. All the gas fittings I bought from Ritebrew (amazing customer service there, btw) ended up being 3/8 barbed. I think. I'm still working things out, but the guy I talked to at the place seemed pretty intent on making sure I had the right parts. The problem is that my manifold is all 1/4" barbs.

"No problem," says I, "I'll just switch out all the barbs for 3/8 barbs!" Because I'm simultaneously stupid and cheap, I'm now searching for how to fit barbs to these motherfuckers. I'm thinking I may be able to get them all fit with a trip to the LHBS and Home Depot/Lowes, but I'm running into weird problems.

First of all, the input on the manifold is currently this. It seems simple enought to change it out to a 1/4" MPT to 3/8" Barb, I've found a few options in that respect. I'm currently just looking for ways to make sure it's a 1/4" MPT, so if you have any ideas in that respect, that'd be good. The information I got about measuring the outside of the threads seems to point to that, though.

Secondly, in the ends of the output valves are these fittings. I have no idea what the MPT measurement on them is, because it doesn't see to be as big around. It looks like it's about 9/16" across, but the threaded side is just under 1/4" in length, as opposed to the 3/8" I measured for the brass fitting up there. Is this going to be a different measuring standard than MPT? There's also some sort of plastic washer inside, if that helps, and it fits in this shutoff/check valve.

So here's the big catch-all question, besides the few I posted about the fittings. Do I go about trying to change the fittings, or do I just say "fuck it" and spend $40 on the manifold that will actually fit my system (and give me a bonus output for co2 flushing and such and such)?
JakeAndBake

Re: I think I fucked up when I bought this manifold...

Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:52 pm

In general the narrower 1/4" ID gas tubing will fit over 3/8 barbs. Does this simplify things?
maxwell

Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:24 pm

maxwell wrote:In general the narrower 1/4" ID gas tubing will fit over 3/8 barbs. Does this simplify things?

Heat a cup of water to near boiling in the microwave. Hold the end of the tubing in the water for 30-60 seconds and then the 1/4" tubing will slide right onto the 3/8" barbs. When it cools it will hold much better than if you used worm clamps to hold the tubing on.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:34 pm

Bugeater wrote:
maxwell wrote:In general the narrower 1/4" ID gas tubing will fit over 3/8 barbs. Does this simplify things?

Heat a cup of water to near boiling in the microwave. Hold the end of the tubing in the water for 30-60 seconds and then the 1/4" tubing will slide right onto the 3/8" barbs. When it cools it will hold much better than if you used worm clamps to hold the tubing on.

+1 I do this all the time. I typically use one of my smallest pots on the stove with ~1/4-3/8" of water. It comes to a boil real quick, I kill the heat, move to another burner & by the time I grab my tubing & barb the water's around 160-180 - the tiny volume of water heats & cools really quickly. Short soak & it pops right on with no need for a clamp. I've got black/black & grey/grey jumpers, picnic taps & a couple other odds n ends done up this way & it works great.

I've noticed a residue left on the water after doing a couple, probably just a bit too hot, but now I give them a quick PBW/StarSan treatment afterwards (a second cycle, the line & connector are typically cleaned & sanitized before I start).
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:45 pm

Part of my problem is I already bought a bunch of gas tubing at 5/16" ID. I guess I can just buy some 1/4" tubing, but then I think I might have to change my keg posts as well.
JakeAndBake

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing