Done bottling my first batch

Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:11 pm

Hey guys,

I just got done bottling some of my beer. I did it all under force carbonation and used Blichmann's BeerGun. Other than knocking my "overflow pitcher" over about 3 times (whereby spilling beer on the carpet every time) and spraying beer all over my entertainment center, it was relatively easy.

Just figured I'd tell you guys how it went. I wouldn't have bottled at all, but I wanted to send some beer to TBN and save some for some friends that'll be in town around Christmas. Can't wait to kick this keg and start off on my next batch.

Sucks there is no show this week, but I'll get by somehow.

Later everyone.
trans

Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:57 pm

Your first batch ever? Straight to kegging eh? At least you're paying some of your dues with counter-pressure filling bottles! How'd you cap them?

-edited for stupid mispelling
Last edited by jaydub on Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
On Deck:
Primary: American Amber Ale
Conditioning:
On tap (kegerator!):
Fond memories:

Beer-gut: 38"
jaydub

Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:17 pm

Yeah, I only have one batch under my belt. And yes, I went straight to kegging because of me hearing what a pain it is to bottle 50-some bottles of beer and have to worry about natural carbonation. I think at some point I will go back and try bottle conditioning just to know what it's like, but for now the CO2 setup is working just great.

I got a bench capper from B3 to cap them. It was pretty easy to cap with with that. I think I filled and capped 8 bottles in about 15 minutes, including the time it took me to clean up the mess I caused in the process.

Oh yeah, and I guess technically the BeerGun isn't a counter-pressure filler, but it does the same thing. You have one valve to control CO2 and one to control the beer. So basically you purge the bottle for 5 seconds with CO2, then fill the bottle, then hit the headspace with some CO2, then cap the bottle. I would imagine a regular counterpressure filler would purge the bottle of air better, but I think the Beergun is probably more simple to operate. Also, the thing is a snap to take apart and put back together, so that is a plus.

Well, I think that ramble explained everything. If not, I will ramble upon my next reply.

- joe
trans

Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:46 pm

Once you get used to using a pressure filler there so much better than bottle conditiong, no guessing on how the carbonation is going to turn out. I have 3B'S filler and forgot to turn off the beer flow after closing the relief valve and got shot in the face with a very strong beer flow. Did it twice more after that and hit the ceiling and walls. Now my house really smells like a brewery.
ENJOY YER BEER and let them that don't want none have memories of not havin' any!
diver

Return to Kegging, Bottling and Dispensing