Wiring my gearmotor

Thu Dec 08, 2016 10:12 am

I came across a used industrial gearmotor that I'm trying to use for my barley crusher. I was wondering if there's any electricians here who can guide me how to wire it.

This is the manual for the gearmotor.

http://www.actechdrives.com/PDF/Lenze/Lenze-GST-Helical-MD-Motors.pdf
lukebarber

Re: Wiring my gearmotor

Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:12 pm

There's not a damned thing in that manual about wiring: I looked.

The first thing is to figure out if it's an AC motor or a DC motor. It should say that on the data plate. If it's AC then it should also say if it's 110V or 220V. If it's 110V then you will have a black, a white, and a green wire. Black=Hot, White=Neutral, and Green=Ground. These correspond to the pins on your standard residential type electrical plug. If you don't know which is which it's probably best to consult an electrician.

If the thing is DC it's either 12V or 24V, and you're on your own. lol

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Sat Dec 10, 2016 3:28 pm

Looking toward the end of the manual, it states that it can be one of a few types:

[---copied from the manual---]

Motor voltages
The power values and torques indicated in the selection tables relate
to the following motor voltages:
• 50 Hz : Δ 230 V / Y 400 V
• 60 Hz : Δ 265 V / Y 460 V
• 87 Hz : Δ 400 V

[-------------]

So, from that it indicates that it is a 3 phase motor. You might be able to get something to work, but it won't be a nice direct plug in answer.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:22 pm

NateBrews wrote:Looking toward the end of the manual, it states that it can be one of a few types:

[---copied from the manual---]

Motor voltages
The power values and torques indicated in the selection tables relate
to the following motor voltages:
• 50 Hz : Δ 230 V / Y 400 V
• 60 Hz : Δ 265 V / Y 460 V
• 87 Hz : Δ 400 V

[-------------]

So, from that it indicates that it is a 3 phase motor. You might be able to get something to work, but it won't be a nice direct plug in answer.

Good Lord! That's a freaking nightmare! You won't find 3 phase in very many residences, and the 2-3 phase converter will cost more than a new gearmotor.

Charlie
"Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!"
Charlie

Return to Brewing Equipment