Beer Software

Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:50 am

Hi,

I've been away from brewing since the last 5 years... :cry: The good news is that I'm now doing it again :twisted: .

I guess things have changed since I stopped. What are the good brewing software now? Promash was already almost dead. I was using beersmith and beer tools Pro. What would you recommend?

Thanks
"Drink Beer!" - Zakk Wylde
SocietyDweller

Re: Beer Software

Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:01 am

I've been brewing for a year and a half and use BeerSmith. It is updated pretty frequently and offers a lot of tools.
Brewshki

Mon Jul 04, 2016 12:18 pm

I have been using a website called brewtoad.com since back when it was hopville.com. It is ok, and it does the job. I have many many times almost ditched it for beersmith. Mainly the thing that keeps me on it is that I don't want to take the time to download all my stuff from one and import it to the other.
BN Army : Cannon Fodder Division

"Risk of failure should be no deterrent to trying"
NateBrews

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:32 pm

ProMash is still dead... and still my favorite. Math hasn't changed. It's pretty easy to enter new stuff in the database & the only complaints I had with it 10 years ago are still so minor that I don't care.

If you don't have a copy of it, BeerSmith is the next best thing.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:37 pm

I had a good conversation with Brad Smith a couple weeks back at HombrewCon. Version 2.2 is the current version of Beersmith but there is a major update coming in the next couple weeks. Those that already have Beersmith will get it as a free update. He also just came out with a version of How To Brew with John Palmer on DVD. That should be interesting.
Bugeater Brewing Company
http://www.lincolnlagers.com
Bugeater

Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:48 pm

Bugeater wrote:I had a good conversation with Brad Smith a couple weeks back at HombrewCon. Version 2.2 is the current version of Beersmith but there is a major update coming in the next couple weeks. Those that already have Beersmith will get it as a free update. He also just came out with a version of How To Brew with John Palmer on DVD. That should be interesting.

care to spill any beans on the update? or at least how many weeks we are talking?
Brewshki

Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:17 am

Brewshki wrote:
Bugeater wrote:I had a good conversation with Brad Smith a couple weeks back at HombrewCon. Version 2.2 is the current version of Beersmith but there is a major update coming in the next couple weeks. Those that already have Beersmith will get it as a free update. He also just came out with a version of How To Brew with John Palmer on DVD. That should be interesting.

care to spill any beans on the update? or at least how many weeks we are talking?

I don't have a full list of all the updates in the new version, but I know there are some very powerful water tools that will be included.

BeerSmith is very powerful software and has far too many features for most home brewers in my opinion. For simple recipe formulation, you might be better off using a free tool like BrewToad. With that being said, I love BeerSmith and I am constantly discovering new tools and tricks within the program.
Bald guys rule.
BigBadBrad

Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:21 am

I used Promash for a very long time. I really liked it and am disappointed it died.

I've been using Beersmith for a few years now and like it quite a bit as well. Plus, I enjoy using the app. It's nice storing recipes on the cloud and pulling them up on your phone.
BrewingAZ

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment