Apps, Software, or Other for Managing Recipes and Notes

Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:36 am

Hi, all.

I keep my notes on past brews between Excel and paper handwritten notes in a folder. I have friends that really like some of the current Apps, some that simply use Excel, and others that use websites (I think Brewgr is one). In this age of technology, I'm looking to get away from my current (and archaic) way of keeping notes.

Does anyone have any recommendations, likes/dislikes, etc....? Cheers!
Hedgehog

Re: Apps, Software, or Other for Managing Recipes and Notes

Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:30 am

Love Beersmith, not to mention the website and the Cloud recipe database you get. Albeit, a home-brewer's recipe drop. A 'subjective' database.

The software allows you to customize your recipes fast and easy, and then brew day notes can be inputted along with changes to mash or fermentation profiles.

Very happy with it. As with any software package, you need to see how your system handles the software's suggestions, such as dough in volumes and mash temps. I always have to add 3/4's of a gallon more water and 5 degrees higher on the dough in temps to hit my numbers. But that is expected, and I may be able to fix that by doing a better job in the system customization portion of the software.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon May 25, 2015 9:27 pm

I tried BeerSmith (along with at least a dozen other programs). I still use ProMash. I don't need support, I can add new ingredients myself, math doesn't change. I have a couple of very minor nits to pick with it, but they're insignificant - it still does what I want it to do, I'd just prefer it to display a different read out or do 2 calculations (that it already does separately) as 1. That sort of shit.

It's definitely not for everyone, but for how my brain works it's as good as it gets.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue May 26, 2015 2:34 pm

+1 to ProMash too. I guess I am an old school learner myself.
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Tue May 26, 2015 7:05 pm

i've only ever used beersmith and love it. super simple and a lot of helpful tools although as you go you'll have to determine where your setup is different from the software. (mash temp drops due to equip...)

i also use bru'n'water for water & mash ph calcs, donate and get the updated version.

tg
Next Up:
BCS Dirty Water Brown

Fermenting:
BCS To George! BoPils

Serving:
1867 EI Porter
bufordsbest

Tue May 26, 2015 9:04 pm

I use brewer's friend.
Klickitat Jim