Peltier cooler & stout conicals

Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:52 pm

Does anyone have any experience peltier cooler kit from stout tanks? Add if so where did you buy the actual peltier chips?
Bad Goat Brewing

Re: Peltier cooler & stout conicals

Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:52 pm

I didn't buy the set, but did buy aluminum stock on eBay and the heat sink fan combo on amazon. The peltier chips can be bought there as well. On the stout tanks page there is a DIY PDF on the build.
Rufo B Padsworth

Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:45 pm

Ebay.........
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:00 pm

Got the 14g fermenter and peltier kits from stout. Bought 10A peltier chips on the web (not sure the source). The coolers BARELY got cool. After a quick tutorial on Peltier chips on wiki, i figured i wasn't pulling enough heat off the hot side of the chip with the fans and heatsinks supplied with the kits. I bought bigger fans and heatsinks and, luckily, i could use the hardware in the new kits to get the new heatsinks to attach to the stout aluminum blocks. Now they get relatively cold. I can get down to 49F in a 70F room with only a single wrap of the aluminum 'bubble wrap' around only the body of the fermenter (not the cone or lid). I have two kits, so 4 chips and 4 fans/heatsinks.

Currently running a run of the mill 725 watt computer power supply to power the whole thing. At 12v the chips should each have ~120 watts of cooling power in an ideal setting. I would guess that at 40A, that power supply is not delivering 12v so probably not an optimized setup. I plan on more insulation and a different power setup in the very near.

Brace
jbrace1

Return to Brewing Equipment