Re: BIAB Setup/upgrade

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:08 pm

TopFlatBrwr wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I think since I'm in it for the long run I should get something I won't outgrow in a year. I'm looking at doing an electric element with a 20g kettle now similar to what Kal did here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

Anyone have experience/advice with this conversion?

I went electric on my HLT/MLT a while ago & couldn't be happier. I'm not switching over my boil kettle for flavor reasons. The cost difference per batch is ridiculous (electric is pennies compared to LP's dollars). It's very hands off while not going fully automated as well. I'm running a much more basic setup than he is, but I've been checking out his control panel quite a bit lately & getting prepared to build something scaled down & tailored to my brewery, but very similar none the less. I'd highly recommend going electric, right after I'd recommend going from BIAB to a 3 vessel system. It can be done in an apartment quite easily, especially if you go electric.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:18 pm

I am in the same situation as Ozwald. 110V (1500W) Rims, 240V (4500W) HLT. Working on the panel now. Will be framed in the same extruded AL I used for the main system. Purchased most of the components from http://www.ebrewsupply.com/

Had the PID's and Relays already. One PID in operation on the RIMS system, but the HLT is still plug and watch. Can not wait to automate that, then only two connections for the brewery, Water and 240V 4wire.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Kbar wrote:I am in the same situation as Ozwald. 110V (1500W) Rims, 240V (4500W) HLT. Working on the panel now. Will be framed in the same extruded AL I used for the main system. Purchased most of the components from http://www.ebrewsupply.com/

Had the PID's and Relays already. One PID in operation on the RIMS system, but the HLT is still plug and watch. Can not wait to automate that, then only two connections for the brewery, Water and 240V 4wire.

My new brewery I'm building at the moment has 240, water, NG & a floor drain, but up til now I've been running everything off a pair of A419's on 120. Luckily I get up for work between 12 & 1 in the morning & I'm gone for about 3-4 hours since that's how long it takes to RIMS up to strike & heat the HLT with a pair of 1500w elements. My latest mash schedule is to hold at temp for 20 minutes & then ramp to mash out, which takes a bit over an hour. Can't wait to utilize the panel/240. 1 degree every 8 minutes sucks. On a side note, I can't wait til the brewery build is done so I can finally upgrade my HLT & go back to a HERMS system. I can't express my hate for RIMS in words.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:40 pm

Ozwald wrote:I can't express my hate for RIMS in words.

Talk to me about your RIMS issues!! Would like to hear them.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:24 am

Ozwald wrote:
TopFlatBrwr wrote:Thanks for all the info guys. I think since I'm in it for the long run I should get something I won't outgrow in a year. I'm looking at doing an electric element with a 20g kettle now similar to what Kal did here: http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/heating-elements

Anyone have experience/advice with this conversion?

I went electric on my HLT/MLT a while ago & couldn't be happier. I'm not switching over my boil kettle for flavor reasons. The cost difference per batch is ridiculous (electric is pennies compared to LP's dollars). It's very hands off while not going fully automated as well. I'm running a much more basic setup than he is, but I've been checking out his control panel quite a bit lately & getting prepared to build something scaled down & tailored to my brewery, but very similar none the less. I'd highly recommend going electric, right after I'd recommend going from BIAB to a 3 vessel system. It can be done in an apartment quite easily, especially if you go electric.

You mentioned that you aren't going to switch over your kettle. When you say flavor reasons are you referring to scorching or something completely different? Electric is definitely the way forward for me.
TopFlatBrwr

Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:06 am

No, there's just a slight difference in flavor. It's like the difference between cooking on a gas range vs an electric range. It's not huge, but if you're familiar with your recipe that you've brewed many times over, it's more than just a slight difference. It's not a 'flaw' where you can pick it out in a beer from another brewer (unless there is scorching going on), just a difference. It just comes down to personal preference.

Kbar wrote:Talk to me about your RIMS issues!! Would like to hear them.

Not issues, I just don't like it. Well I guess there is one issue, but that's just because it's underpowered for my system. To ramp from 154 to 165 takes a bit over an hour. But I don't like it on several other levels & can't wait to go back to a HERMS system which I'm comfortable & familiar with. HERMS is just more gentle on the wort, more efficient, less prone to failures & produces a better flavor profile.

I was forced into this temporary RIMS system for financial reasons. When my old MLT finally bit the big one, I replaced it with one 3x bigger - the first step in building my final system. However the old HERMS coil wasn't big enough to support the new MLT & at $650 I can't afford to upgrade the HLT yet. So my choices were to pull the old coil, put in a new one & build a 3rd one when I upgraded the HLT, or to build a RIMS tube until the HLT got upgraded. Between the cost of copper in 2 new coils & the sheer pain in the ass of making/installing 2 coils, RIMS was just a lot more cost effective in the long run. Unfortunately (for the HERMS) I bought a house, which led to an indoor brewery build as well as building a new stand to accommodate the much larger system are both higher on the priority list & sapping the brew budget. On the bright side, I installed 240 in the new brewery so the RIMS tube can be fitted with a larger element which should help with ramp times, but I still can't wait to get back to HERMS.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:05 am

As others have said...go for it! That burner shouldn't have a problem keeping a boil. The only issue I could imagine is that it might take a LONG time to get to boil. Electric would be a great option since you have limited outdoor space and weather concerns.
:bnarmy: Corporal – SoCal Division, Inland Empire Platoon

On tap: Nada
Conditioning: Nada
Fermenting: Mexican Lager
Planned: Doppelbock or Weizenbock, Oatmeal Stout, DIPA
santamarina

Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:43 pm

Kbar wrote:I am in the same situation as Ozwald. 110V (1500W) Rims, 240V (4500W) HLT. Working on the panel now. Will be framed in the same extruded AL I used for the main system. Purchased most of the components from http://www.ebrewsupply.com/

Why don't you just throw in a SSR & pull the 110 off the 240 line?
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Equipment