Cracked carboy

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:50 am

Just noticed a crack in my carboy. It isn't big, and it isn't leaking. I'll obviously need to replace it, but I'm gearing up to brew, and can't afford a new one until my next paycheck. My question is this: if I use this carboy today, what my best course of action to minimize my chances of infection? I'm thinking about bleaching, then hyper-rinsing, then starsan. I'm ready to brew, and don't want to waste the day (plus my kegs are empty, and that's just unacceptable). I think the crack is only on the outside of the carboy's bottom, but I can't tell for certain... Ideas?
Fierce Beard

Re: Cracked carboy

Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:56 am

Personally I would just use the StarSan -- the foaming agent reduces surface tension and will let it wick into the crevice nicely. I've eliminated bleach entirely from my brewery.

OTOH, I'd worry about the integrity of the carboy a) when it's full of wort and you have 80+ lbs of liquid exerting pressure on the crack and b) if your ferment blows off and any restriction increases pressure ........ <boom>

Keep the carboy in a tray or a bucket ....... well, if you have a bucket why not ferment in that ........ I might even ferment in my boil kettle if it came down to using a carboy with a crack in it. If you're out of beer, this batch isn't going to last long -- pitch and aerate well and drink it before any off flavors develop

:jnj
-- Scott

On Tap - Janet's Brown, Easy-Jack/SNPA mash-up
Primary - BCS Saison with rye
Secondary - Cabernet Sauvingon
animaldoc

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:19 pm

:nutters:
You could store your milled grain in it!

:jnj
Gary
Eldorado/ Lemon Drop Summer IPA
German Bock
Boh Pils brewed on a 96 degree day.
gwk453

Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks animaldoc, I cashed in an early birthday present from girlfriend, and got a new carboy. Now my burner is down, though. Looks like no brewing for me today...
Fierce Beard

Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:29 pm

I vote to shoot it & upload pics :)

I'm on board with all the liquid/fermentation pressure possibly making it burst. That wouldn't be so good... unless you shoot it & upload pics :D
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 pm

Glad you replaced it.

Cracked carboy == Risk not worth taking. These things can and do maim when they break. It is never worth it.
-B'Dawg
BJCP GM3 Judge & Mead
"Lunch Meat. It's an acquired taste....." -- Mylo
BDawg

Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:35 pm

Good call. A new carboy is probably cheaper than the ER visit when one shatters in your hands.
maxwell

Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 pm

Use a bottling bucket. mkay?
BigHurt99

Return to Brewing Equipment