Re: Sparging with balancing valves?

Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:00 pm

I started getting into this rebuild because I moved into a house with no garage, but I have a basement. I figured electric would be better in the basement so I don't have to worry about combustion by products. Since I was switching to electric I figured I might as well go HERMS as well. If I'm going HERMS I may as well automate the temperature control. My "real" job involves hydronic piping, thermo dynamics, and controls so this all got out of control quickly.
I'm hoping the automation will help me be able to rebrew and hit everything the same time and time again. I suppose brewing on the same equipment over and over would help that too, but I'm an engineer and like to tinker.
patterns

Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:32 pm

Ozwald wrote:
CRBrewHound wrote:I understanding trying to built the perfect system, where you just sit there and get drunk while it does everything.

That's called the liquor/beer store :wink:

Following your side topic, I never saw the point in building a fully automated homebrewery... aren't we doing this cause we want to brew? I've got a pretty advanced brewery, but I still like cranking valves, stirring my mash, etc. If I was going to automate anything, it'd stuff in the clean up stage. Just my thoughts on that.

Amen - I still love throwing the valves controlling the flow paths. PIDs for temp control on the RIMS and HLT, but manual after that.
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:17 am

patterns wrote:I started getting into this rebuild because I moved into a house with no garage, but I have a basement. I figured electric would be better in the basement so I don't have to worry about combustion by products. Since I was switching to electric I figured I might as well go HERMS as well. If I'm going HERMS I may as well automate the temperature control. My "real" job involves hydronic piping, thermo dynamics, and controls so this all got out of control quickly.
I'm hoping the automation will help me be able to rebrew and hit everything the same time and time again. I suppose brewing on the same equipment over and over would help that too, but I'm an engineer and like to tinker.

Understand complete, as an engineer, it is hard not to go overboard.
CRBrewHound

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment