Re: Temp Controller

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:45 am

Update: Ok, I went and bought a Johnson analog unit and when I got it home my Ranco was working fine again. I'll use the analog as a backup anyway so no big deal. I just don't feel like I can trust my digital units in my absence. The last few nights I've been waking in the night to check it, which is crazy! So far, so good. I'd still like to know of others who have had these things fail, especially on a keezer.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Fri Nov 28, 2014 1:22 pm

Just curious if you are using a proper surge protector for your temp controller? These can be lifesavers when power surges occur or even when the electric company installs a new transformer in your yard and reconnects the 220V to the neutral ground wire frying all of my major appliances in the house (except for my 3 temp controllers plugged into $6 surge protectors)!!

Try cooking warm meals for 2 young kids with no microwave or ovens for 2 wks. The grill and crockpot only go so far. Good times!!
"A bad man is a good man's job, while a good man is a bad man's teacher."
brewinhard
Global Moderator

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:02 pm

No, I have not been using surge protectors on them like on my PC, but I may start now. We are at the end of the line on the power run on our road and I know it's not as stable for that reason. I am surprised that if it got fried that way it would just start working again. I'm keeping a close eye on it now. Thanks for the input.
A woman drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her-W.C. Fields
scotchpine

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:04 pm

I've been using ranco dual controls running off a surge strip non stop for a year and a half with multiple power outages. No problem. A surge has never tripped it, only outages. And they come right back on with the settings as was. I too live in the sticks, last house end of the line.
Klickitat Jim

Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:58 am

I'm thinking I may need a power conditioner cause we had a brown out not a surge spike. I'll have to price them. This is the kinda thing I always worried about compressors and large amp draw motors and such. Never thought about the temp controller this way till now but like I said it started working again so I'm a bit puzzled.
scotchpine

Previous

Return to Brewing Equipment