Solar Powered Home Brewery

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Just signed up the paperwork to install phase one of two to add PV electric panels on my home. The electrical energy generated by this first 2kw bank of solar panels that will be installed next month will more than offset the additional electricity I am now consuming with my brewing equipment (i.e. refrigeration). If all goes well, and factoring in some conservation measures, the second the set of 2kw panels next year should get us to the point where we produce as much electricity as we consume in our household.

The hot water at my house and in the brewshed is already mostly solar heated. If we have an extended period of cloud coverage there is an electrical backup to the water heaters.

As tempting as it is to purchase one of those B3 sculptures, I want to complete this project first.
bcmaui

Re: Solar Powered Home Brewery

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:21 pm

Pics??
code
codewritinfool

Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:31 pm

Will do. PV Equipment has been ordered and should be on island next month. I'll take photos as it progresses and post them if there is interest.

This is a "grid tied" system, so there is no local battery storage. There will be a 100w transfer switch added above the base equipment so I can use generator and solar backup if our grid is out for a significant period of time.

Currently our utility company is allowing up to a certain amount of "net meters" to be tied in to each subsection of the grid. If I produce more power than I consume over the course of a year, I wlll not earn any extra money from that, but my utility bill will be about $18 per month if I produce as much or more than I consume.
bcmaui

Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:26 pm

That is so cool. My brewshed is oriented E-W and has a roof pitch for optimal solar angle, so maybe someday...

bcmaui wrote:There will be a 100w transfer switch

I hope it is more than that. :D
code
codewritinfool

Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:57 pm

Whoops - 100amp Xfer switch
bcmaui

Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:19 am

This is exactly what I've been wanting to do. I already have solar heat exchangers for the water, but I need to remove a lot of trees first. I live in a forest. But, I am looking forward to the day that I get free hot water for my liquor tank simply by opening a valve. My brewery is already 100% electric, so I'd love to run it off PV too. Although a grid tied system really makes the mot sense financially.

I've done some work for a company here that designs and installs PV systems and I loved it. Hopefully I will get on full time with them, as the market has really grown in the last couple of years. They convert houses to "net zero" energy houses, which includes insulating, changing appliances to more efficient ones, etc. Technically, it doesn't add up to a perfect balance of electricty consumption vs. production. The utility company buys solar generated energy that you supply to the grid for more than they charge to sell you coal or nuclear generated energy.

I won't have the money to invest in the PV any time soon, but it sure must be satisfying to get a check from your utility company every month.
Brandt

Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:23 am

This has got to cost you a pretty penny BC, what is the return time on your investment? I have a perfect roof for something like this but I have always thought it was too expensive to generate a return. If you know something help a brother out.
Nate
http://www.nebraskabeerblog.com
Beers on tap-Schwarzbier, RyeIPA
BrewBum

Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:26 pm

We pay 28 cents per KilowattHour in Maui (and it went up to 40 cents per KwH last Summer as oil went up since we have diesel and do not have coal or natural gas generators at our local utility).

There is a Federal Tax Credit of 30%. There is a Hawaii State Tax Credit of 35%. (you need to check if your state has one)

The "sweet spot" is about $15,000 before residential system tax credit limits kick in (although commercial limits are much higher).

So if you have a high enough tax liablity (i.e. would owe enough in State (Hawaii State income taxes are almost 9%) and Federal taxes to qualify for the credit) the best case is that this system will pay itself back in 4 years at my current electrical rates. That is a fair return - my solar hot water was the same. If there were no tax credits at all and energy pirces do not go up at all, the payback is 11-12 years for my system cost.

I will need to see if the tax credits remain in place next year (Hawaii has to renew it every year, the Federal Credit is good through 2016 at this time) before I can determine how fast I can afford to build the second half of the system.

You need to look at what you currently pay for your electrical power (and possibly consider how new Cap and Trade energy taxes may increase the type of electricity you currently use if enacted) and see if your utility company has the "net meter" or "fee and tarriff" to allow you to connect a "grid tied" system. If you can not "grid tie", then you start adding batteries and charge converters and a bunch of additional expensive equipment that makes this much less cost effective unless you are a long way from the nearest power line.

Your best money is spent in conservation first (switch incadecent bulbs to LED's (or CFL's if the mercury does not bother you)). Add motion sensors. Send your teenage kids to the mainland. Purchase energy effcient appliances, etc and I have done a bit of that already. PV is less cost effective, but as my utilty company is restricting the amount of Residential PV that can attach to each section of the grid, I want to spend a little more and grab a spot while they are still available (in my area they expect to max out next year).

I am putting this on a low interest credit card and when the first portion is paid off (after my tax refund is received), will build the second half. If you can incorporate this into a home equity loan or other low interest mechanism that would also work. I would have reduced my tax withholding at the beginning of the year had I known I was going to do this at the beginning of the year so not to have to wait for the tax refund which collects no interest at all.

There is a glut of PV panels which is the most expensive component (Spain cancelled many government solar projects they had on the books) on the market and electricians need work, so the same phase 1 part of the system that was quoted to me at $24,000 12 months ago is now $17,000. I have shipping to Hawaii and a higher cost of living here, so I would suspect a similar system (2kw) would cost about $12-14,000 at this time in the heartland.

You would need to determine your current (and future) cost of energy, the insolence value of your roof and what tax credits and your tax liabilty to determine your individual rate of return.
bcmaui

Next

Return to Brewing Equipment