Dialing in a new system with beer styles

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:45 pm

So I just upgraded my kettle to a Sabco keggle. I brewed a best bitter in it this weekend and found that my evaporation rate was WAY LOWER than my 7.5 gal kettle I got from north. brewer. My OG was 1.043 when I was shooting for 1.047. I expect it will take me a couple of brews to dial in my system again as far as water volume calculations. What styles do you guys think would be good for testing the system out? I figured bitters and heffe would not suffer that much from missing the post boil gravity target. Or what about a Mild? Any thoughts?
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Re: Dialing in a new system with beer styles

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:11 pm

I'd just focus on adjusting your water and/or boiling times on the same recipe until you nail it - then you will know how to adjust across the board. Why not do the same recipe over since you already know the results of the first try?
bcmaui

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:53 pm

bcmaui wrote:I'd just focus on adjusting your water and/or boiling times on the same recipe until you nail it - then you will know how to adjust across the board. Why not do the same recipe over since you already know the results of the first try?

What he said. I upgraded two things in my system and have better efficiency. Now I have to figure out where that's coming from so I can replicate my results.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I probably should do another try at the bitters. Maybe ill use the same recipe with different yeast that way I dont get bored of drinking it. Good idea guys. :jnj

thanks
On Deck: Bier de Garde, Northern German Pils
In Fermenters: Homegrown Pale Ale
in keg: Octoberweizen, Dusseldorf Alt
edisonst

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:56 pm

edisonst wrote:I probably should do another try at the bitters. Maybe ill use the same recipe with different yeast that way I dont get bored of drinking it. Good idea guys. :jnj

thanks

If you don't drink this beer often, then switch over to one you enjoy. It is good to have a "calibration brew" - one that you know how the numbers are supposed to come in at and how you expect it to taste when doing an equipment and/or process change. I am finally making an all-grain recipe the way I had it dialed in as an extract brew after three attempts, and it might even be a little better now than it was as an extract brew.
bcmaui

Return to Brewing Sculptures