Re: Super strut framing

Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:13 pm

beerocracy wrote:I just bought a standard 100-count box of 1/2" hex bolts to use with the channel spring nuts. I think they sell bags of bolts with the superstrut hardware but a bulk box of bolts in the hardware section was cheaper.

What is the point of getting the channel spring nuts? Do you have any good pictures of your frame?
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:38 am

Hey guys,
I used "super strut" I call it Uni-strut. I'm an Electrician and I use it all the time for extremely heavy stuff. I've hung transformers on it that weigh upwards of 300lbs and have never thought twice about it. And as far as hardware for it, 3/8 is most likely plenty.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/specs/bolts/SA ... ength.html

If you show me a rough diagram of what you're planning I can tell you where the weak points are too. Just so you know they make 45's and 90's brackets for supporting your center riser if you're doing a single column gravity system. Yes, you will want spring nuts and I do recommend square washers instead of flat washers. They're thicker than flat washers, try top make the bolt the weakest part in the whole set up.

I'll try to post pic's of mine. It'd too easy.
mad-town dmb

Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:05 pm

Thanks Mad-town. I will send a sketch/diagram of what I am planning this week.

Send some pictures if you can when you get a chance.
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:12 pm

http://www.unistrut.com/Browse/cat_pg.php?P=S00_Fitting

Home Depot has the basic connectors, but as this stuff is used by Plumbers, HVAC and Electrical contractors you can find a wider variety of accessories at those places - in my small town the Air Conditioning supply houses have the best selection of UniStrut parts. You can also get copper fittings, soft tubing, valves and pressure gauges and other parts at an HVAC supply house that are useful in brewing.
Last edited by bcmaui on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bcmaui

Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:08 pm

Also, most places will let you start a temp account to buy through them so don't worry about that. I get all my stainless hardware, fittings and valves through a plumbing company, the cheapest prices around!

And always try to use hew head bolts when working with strut. You can get it so much tighter.
mad-town dmb

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:13 pm

mad-town dmb wrote:Also, most places will let you start a temp account to buy through them so don't worry about that. I get all my stainless hardware, fittings and valves through a plumbing company, the cheapest prices around!

And always try to use hew head bolts when working with strut. You can get it so much tighter.

What are hew head bolts? I woudl assume the super strut head bolts are hew....
Private Krizwit
krizwit

Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 am

Sorry, hex head bolts, I should've proof read that. Get those instead of phillip or straight blade bolts.
mad-town dmb

Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:44 am

hahaha. I wouldnt use any other bolt :)
Private Krizwit
krizwit

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures