Re: Brew system pics

Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:03 pm

Here is the rig I am currently using:

I just upgraded my burners a couple months back and am trying to figure out what I will do next.
Joe

http://www.westcoastbrewer.com/ West Coast Brewer
westcoastbrewer

Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:19 am

Here's an updated pick of my all-electric setup. I've added a pid controller to the mashtun, and resirculate through a counterflow chiller to cool the wort. My gear doesn't exactly look like a million bucks, but it works great.

Last edited by Gahr on Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:10 am

Cool Set-up. Are those induction cook-tops? And what is that insulation around your pots? looks like neoprene.
hoodie

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:18 am

Is the picture of the fence there to make you feel like you're still brewing outside?
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:56 pm

hoodie wrote:Cool Set-up. Are those induction cook-tops? And what is that insulation around your pots? looks like neoprene.

I use induction for the HLT and brewpot, but the mashtun is heated by a cast iron cooktop. The pid controller doesn't work with induction.

The insulation is made from polyethylene sleeping pads. They look like shit, but they work and are dead cheap. :)

Gahr

Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:59 pm

Ozwald wrote:Is the picture of the fence there to make you feel like you're still brewing outside?

Haha, I wish the Bergen climate would allow me to brew outside. :D The picture is actually a scene from the Bergen harbor (It's supposed to look like tall houses...)

Gahr

Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:29 pm

Gahr wrote:
Ozwald wrote:Is the picture of the fence there to make you feel like you're still brewing outside?

Haha, I wish the Bergen climate would allow me to brew outside. :D The picture is actually a scene from the Bergen harbor (It's supposed to look like tall houses...)

You just need some insulated :nutters: . According to Wikipedia your lowest recorded temp is only -16C (which really surprised me considering how far north you guys are) It's much, much, much colder than that here every winter. I've been out there at -29C before. You don't exactly hang out by the brew kettle on days like that, but it's really not all that bad. Definitely don't have to worry about wild yeast/bacteria floating around in the air.

Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:14 am

Sure, Bergen is not particularly cold. On average, it's one of the warmer places in Norway. It's a coastal city, and because the Gulf stream it never really gets that bad. But still, the humidity sure makes you feel the cold in the winter, and it rains quite a bit and it never really gets very warm either. You won't find many Norwegian brewers messing about outside. And since most people here have electric setups, brewing inside is an option. Thankfully, my wife is ok with me occupying the kitchen and a spare bedroom for brewing purposes! :mrgreen:

Gahr

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures