Re: Brew system pics

Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:22 am

Gahr wrote:Sure, Bergen is not particularly cold. On average, it's one of the warmer places in Norway. It's a coastal city, and because the Gulf stream it never really gets that bad. But still, the humidity sure makes you feel the cold in the winter, and it rains quite a bit and it never really gets very warm either. You won't find many Norwegian brewers messing about outside. And since most people here have electric setups, brewing inside is an option. Thankfully, my wife is ok with me occupying the kitchen and a spare bedroom for brewing purposes! :mrgreen:

Very nice. I've gone half electric since that photo was taken. Currently I'm running an element in my HLT & another one in a RIMS tube, but when I have the cash to upgrade the HLT to the appropriate size for the new system (I'm using the old 58L HLT from my 45L system on the new 100L system - I just have to have an extra pot of boiling water from the stove to top it up halfway through the sparge) I'm going back to HERMS. I still prefer a gas-fired burner though, but since my new house has an enclosed add on I was able to run a natural gas line there & convert the burner. There's also a window directly behind the system for a fan to push out the humid air & there is a large glass sliding door that goes to the house as well as the new front door to pull plenty of fresh air in. The thing you don't see in the photo was the fact that I took the picture from inside. The porch at that apartment wasn't very deep so I could quickly open the slider, take one step, do what I needed to do on the system & get my :nutters: back in side quick. That was the only way to deal with super cold days, but I must be part penguin because the cold doesn't bother me too much. Last winter was pretty mild and I think we only saw -26C or so & I didn't even bother pulling out my winter coat. I'll take -30C over +30C any day.

I dig the sleeping pad idea; I'm guessing it's very efficient. I also pulled up some photos of Bergen & I see what you mean about the houses. It looks like a very beautiful city. If I ever left Montana (which I never thought I would, but the children in our government are starting to make me rethink that), Norway & Sweden are very, very high on my list. The language is pretty intimidating though.
Lee

"Show me on this doll where the internet hurt you."

"Every zoo is a petting zoo if you man the fuck up."

:bnarmy: BN Army // 13th Mountain Division :bnarmy:
Ozwald
Global Moderator

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:27 pm

Gahr wrote: The pid controller doesn't work with induction.

explain please............
Conical Fermenter - Amber Lager
Keg#1 Dunkel
Keg#2 Helles
Keg#3 Flanders Red
Keg#4 Star San
Keg#5 Star San
Keg#6 Star San
Kbar

Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:53 pm

Kbar wrote:
Gahr wrote: The pid controller doesn't work with induction.

explain please............

Most induction burners default to a standby mode when you switch them on.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:22 am

Ozwald wrote:
Gahr wrote:Sure, Bergen is not particularly cold. On average, it's one of the warmer places in Norway. It's a coastal city, and because the Gulf stream it never really gets that bad. But still, the humidity sure makes you feel the cold in the winter, and it rains quite a bit and it never really gets very warm either. You won't find many Norwegian brewers messing about outside. And since most people here have electric setups, brewing inside is an option. Thankfully, my wife is ok with me occupying the kitchen and a spare bedroom for brewing purposes! :mrgreen:

Very nice. I've gone half electric since that photo was taken. Currently I'm running an element in my HLT & another one in a RIMS tube, but when I have the cash to upgrade the HLT to the appropriate size for the new system (I'm using the old 58L HLT from my 45L system on the new 100L system - I just have to have an extra pot of boiling water from the stove to top it up halfway through the sparge) I'm going back to HERMS. I still prefer a gas-fired burner though, but since my new house has an enclosed add on I was able to run a natural gas line there & convert the burner. There's also a window directly behind the system for a fan to push out the humid air & there is a large glass sliding door that goes to the house as well as the new front door to pull plenty of fresh air in. The thing you don't see in the photo was the fact that I took the picture from inside. The porch at that apartment wasn't very deep so I could quickly open the slider, take one step, do what I needed to do on the system & get my :nutters: back in side quick. That was the only way to deal with super cold days, but I must be part penguin because the cold doesn't bother me too much. Last winter was pretty mild and I think we only saw -26C or so & I didn't even bother pulling out my winter coat. I'll take -30C over +30C any day.

I dig the sleeping pad idea; I'm guessing it's very efficient. I also pulled up some photos of Bergen & I see what you mean about the houses. It looks like a very beautiful city. If I ever left Montana (which I never thought I would, but the children in our government are starting to make me rethink that), Norway & Sweden are very, very high on my list. The language is pretty intimidating though.

Hehe, if you call -26 C "pretty mild", you'll survive in Norway. :D There's actually an area of Bergen that is called Montana. (There's actually a place called Florida and a street nicknamed Chicago as well...) The languages aren't that different either. We even have healthcare and still call ourselves free! :mrgreen:

Btw., your post is an example of what I really love about the homebrew community. People are friendly and interrested in their fellow brewers. You actually bothered to google Bergen (I assume that's where you found the pics and info) just based on my picture. Tells me you're probably a really nice guy. If you are ever in these parts of the world, I'll buy you a beer! :jnj
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:53 am

Ah you don't have to do that, I'm really a total dick. :D

Montana, Norway... that sounds fun. Norway/Sweden are definitely on my places to go list. The way the children running this country are acting, it might have to be sooner than later. -26C isn't exactly mild, but it really isn't that cold either. 4 or 5 years ago I was working outside at a ski resort putting chair pads on a ski lift. The upper terminal is a bit over 3000 meters & without the wind blowing the thermometer was reading -45C. That was pretty cold. The wind kicked in & they pulled us off the mountain. It was so cold that I could point my snowboard straight downhill & didn't move at all, even with a good wax. I like the cold, but that was starting to push it.
Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:15 pm

Gahr wrote: You actually bothered to google Bergen (I assume that's where you found the pics and info) just based on my picture. Tells me you're probably a really nice guy.

Or a creepy internet stalker type...
Spiderwrangler
PFC, Arachnid Deployment Division

In the cellar:
In the fermentor: Belgian Cider
In the works: Wooden Cider
spiderwrangler
Global Moderator

Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:47 pm

spiderwrangler wrote:
Gahr wrote: You actually bothered to google Bergen (I assume that's where you found the pics and info) just based on my picture. Tells me you're probably a really nice guy.

Or a creepy internet stalker type...

Spider,

(FINALLY! You have no idea how long I've been waiting to use that one!)

Now, I suppose you want a satellite photo of his house. PM me.

Edit: Great, then this gem pops up in the suggestions. I'm just going to get it out there so I don't have it linked in my bookmarks for weeks.

Lee

Ozwald
Global Moderator

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:01 am

Here's my eHERMS system I've been working on for close to a year now. Built the stand myself and put the HLT up top so I could just use gravity for the sparge and spare the pump for recirculating and transferring wort from the MLT to the BK. Just a couple minor issues with the wiring I've got to figure out before it's fully operational.
Primary: Golden Sour, Cider
Secondary: Golden Sour w/cherries, Raspberry Melomel
Cellar-Aging: Blackberry Melomel, Hawaiian Wildflower Mead
Kegged and on-tap: Berliner Weisse, Lorena Hop-it
Up Next: Something for the new barrel
SantaCruzBrew

PreviousNext

Return to Brewing Sculptures