Firestone Pale 31 - Chad's Hop Schedule Adjustment

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:05 pm

Greeting brewers,

I'm planning to attempt the CYBI Pale 31 clone this weekend but am not sure I understand the hop schedule correctly. Chad indicates he made an adjustment since his process doesn't include the 45 minute whirlpool.

From my show notes, here's what I have:

7 g Fuggles 4.75% AA @ 90 Min
7 g Chinook 13% AA @ 30 Min
24 g Cascade 6% AA @ 0 Min
24 g Centennial 10.5% @ 0 Min
Whirlpool for 45 minutes

If I'm understanding Chad's adjustments correctly, he moves the Chinook to 60 minutes and the Cascade/Centennial to 30 while removing the 0 minute and whirlpool.

But punching this all up into BeerToolsPro, I'm getting an IBU of around 60!! This just doesn't seem right.

Anyone able to chime in and help clear this up? Perhaps I'm misunderstanding his adjustments. Like Chad, I don't typically incorporate the 45 minute whirlpool.

Cheers and thanks!
Sergeant, BN Army

Keg 1: Summer's Horizon
Keg 2: Big Red
Keg 3: Lil Red
Conditioning: Independence Ale
On Deck: Rye Porter
BrewerB

Re: Firestone Pale 31 - Chad's Hop Schedule Adjustment

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:53 pm

From what I remember, he moved the 0 minute Cascade and Centennial to a 20 minute addition. Adding the hops at 20 minutes should be basically the same as the hot whirlpool. The IBU and flavor contribution should be about the same.
Sergeant BN Army
cdburg

Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:11 pm

Also, Pale 31 is a blend of DBA and Mission Street Pale Ale. What you have listed is the Mission Street Pale Ale.
"No balls no babies." - neighbor dan
blueberry

Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:18 am

Thanks, folks. Figure this out.

After listening to the initial Firestone show, Matt breaks down the IBU contributions he looks for from the various hop additions. I just need to adjust the quantities to get my recipe in line.

And yes, I should have clarified that I posted the Mission St. Pale recipe...that's what I intend to brew.

Cheers.
Sergeant, BN Army

Keg 1: Summer's Horizon
Keg 2: Big Red
Keg 3: Lil Red
Conditioning: Independence Ale
On Deck: Rye Porter
BrewerB

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?