question about deschutes obsidian stout episode

Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 pm

I am getting ready to brew this recipe and have been listening to the episode a few times this week. During the interview, the brewer says that this is a difficult beer to brew because of problems the amount of dark grains cause during lautering. What problems would they cause? The things I thought could be issues are maybe because the wort is so dark it would be hard to make sure it is running clear or maybe issues with PH drop sparging because of all of the dark malts? If it is a PH issue, do I need to worry as much if I am batch sparging? I have always used bottled water for my all grain batches so I never really worried about PH, but I am getting ready to start using my own water (I am sending a sample to ward labs this week). Is there some other issue that I am not thinking about in regards to the difficulty of making this beer?

Thanks,
Kevin
izumidai

Re: question about deschutes obsidian stout episode

Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:14 pm

Using a large percentage of roasted grains can occasionally caused a stuck mash, especially at the commerical level with the holes in the filter bed being so small. If there are any concerns about getting a stuck mash, just use some rice hulls.

Hoser
Hoser
Hoser

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?