Doc's Water

Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:25 am

Hey dudes,
I was listening to the pod of the CYBI for Fullers 1845, and I think I recall an passing comment from Doc about "having a water profile I use for each style". I think it was while they were talking about not actually using Burton water for English IPAs etc.

My request to Doc...how about sharing those water profiles? :jnj
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Re: Doc's Water

Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:56 am

i second that.

they were talking about using more passive approach to burtonized water, but for me it would be great to get the actual numbers. i'm not experienced enough to make a more passive version.
kristfin

Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:28 am

Here's more detail about how I treated the water for the 1845 clone, and the thought that went into it:

Here's about what my water is like coming from the Orinda treatment plant in the SF East Bay:

Ca: 10.0
Mg: 1.0
Na: 8.8
SO4: 17.0
Cl: 13.0
HCO3: 34.0

I'm a firm believer in following the SO4:Cl ratio guidance that John Palmer has talked about, and I also know enough to realize that I don't know everything about water, so I adjust only a little bit, and in small amounts. Seems to work well for my water and the way that I brew. The SO4:Cl ratio is close to balanced in my water with no treatment at all. Burtonized water is highly balanced towards SO4. So I added enough Gypsum to firmly put the balance towards SO4, by about a 3:1 ratio. This also had the added benefit of putting the Ca up near 50ppm.
Just a little water treatment, not a lot, just enough to accentuate the hops, and certainly not near as much as if I was attempting to "Burtonize" the water completely. That hasn't worked for me in the past, I've found that it throws everything else off in the water and it tastes coarse, "salty" and treated.
I hope that helps. Give the 1845 a shot, it's an awesome beer!!

:jnj
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:40 pm

Good info. Thanks! I do plan to brew the 1845, need to order that amber malt!
Back in my home town across the briny (Birmingham, Eng) there's a pub I visit when back there...the Old Stock, right in the city center in a victorian bank building. Beautiful building and it's a Fuller's pub...well worth a visit.
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:07 pm

alright, just ordered my Amber malt (and some english crystal) from Northern Brewer (and yes, I did "leave them a note saying how much I appreciate, blah, blah, blah").
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:06 pm

mickp wrote:Good info. Thanks! I do plan to brew the 1845, need to order that amber malt!
Back in my home town across the briny (Birmingham, Eng) there's a pub I visit when back there...the Old Stock, right in the city center in a victorian bank building. Beautiful building and it's a Fuller's pub...well worth a visit.

Mick, thanks much for the tip, I'm way overdue to the trip to enjoy real English ales in their proper setting. I'll be sure to visit Birmingham and stop by the Old Stock for a few pints.

Birmingham.. One of my favorite old school grindcore bands from my youth is from there, Napalm Death.

Cheers!!

:pop
Cheers! Kippis! Skål! Prost!
-Nathan Smith <nate@destroy.net>
Twitter: @nathanhomebrew
nahthan

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:34 pm

Ahh yes. But...if you do find yourself over there, there is one place in the city center that beats the Old Stock to a cocked hat. The Wellington. Truly a real ale haven and for the english beer lover surely one of the best pubs anywhere.
http://www.thewellingtonrealale.co.uk/

It's just a minute walk between the two, so you can have a few at the Wellington then pop into the Old Stock for a chaser!
Corporal Mickp
mickp

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?