Riggwelter wtf?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:05 am

Admittedly, I may have had a few while listening, but I don't quite understand this episode.

It seems like they created a fake phone call, to suggest a beer nobody requested, that is made with yeast that is not commercially available.

I know it's a real beer, but was this some kind of inside April Fool's joke?
Datamike

Re: Riggwelter wtf?

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 am

+1

Seems like the show is just brewing beers based on brewers they can get on the phone. If you rank all the requests made to CYBI, I doubt Riggwelter had any votes.... I know the show is trying to gather an international audience, but lets stick to the beers your BN Army supporters are actually asking for.
I
breyton

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:45 am

breyton wrote:
I know the show is trying to gather an international audience, but lets stick to the beers your BN Army supporters are actually asking for.

Or maybe some of the re-brew beers that weren't quite right.

Brewcaster J's Mirror Pond Clone should be about done, he brewed it mid march. And what about the Firestone re-brew? I'll volunteer to send in my next attempt.

The Fool.
Non-Motorized Mechanized Division, BN Army
bikefoolery

Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:58 am

Jamil has said on the show that if you request some style that hasn't been done, it may get preference over the 200 requests for Pale Ales and IPA's. Sounds like they are trying to mix it up a bit.
Sergeant, BN Army
R.I.P. Rat Pad ('05-'12)

Fermenter: Mayotoberfest
Kegged: Common, Cherry, & Apple Pie Ciders, Falconer Pale Ale, Strawberry Blonde
On Deck: German Pilsner, Chinookee Wookiee
TheDarkSide
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:00 am

I will disagree with you and say I enjoyed the show. It's nice to have something else beside another dry-hopped pale ale or another brown ale or porter.
"Mash, I made you my bitch!" -Tasty
Dirk McLargeHuge
Global Moderator

Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 am

Man, some of the posts criticizing CYBI are just way too out there for me. Not just this thread, this seems to be a regular theme. Not that I think the CYBI crew can't take a little criticism and defend the show that they put out basically for free.

Seriously: Fake phone calls? Beers that no one requested? Maybe JZ's friend that did the interview, or someone else JZ trusted, actually spoke very highly of this beer and thought it would make a great show. This isn't the first time the brewery has used a strain or mix of strains not commercially available. Remember Jolly Pumpkin?

I'm pretty sure I was the only one that requested the Captain Lawrence beers but they took a chance on them based on the fact that it is a highly respected brewery. Maybe this is just the same sort of case. Isn't this the exact kind of beer we should be trying to clone? The kind that is hard to find, especially fresh, in our area?
Chupa LaHomebrew

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:10 am

Chupa LaHomebrew wrote:I'm pretty sure I was the only one that requested the Captain Lawrence beers but they took a chance on them based on the fact that it is a highly respected brewery. Maybe this is just the same sort of case. Isn't this the exact kind of beer we should be trying to clone? The kind that is hard to find, especially fresh, in our area?

Exactly. I bet I was the only one who requested Dogfish 120 too. Its such a different beast than another stout or IPA. So to the OP, yeah maybe 1 person was the only one who requested the show, doesnt mean the show isnt informative or good. I love to brew clones, especially ones I cant get locally.
http://www.embracethefunk.com <----My Sour Beer Website

PRIVATE FIRST CLASS- The BN Army: Dirty South Squadron
Proud 2010 Fallen Soldier Winner
Proud 2009 Caller of the Year Nominee

POLLO ASADO!
Brandon

Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:31 am

I agree!

I am much more interested in the beers that they probably can't get interviews about - Bell's, Three Floyd's, Southern Tier Choklat/Creme Brulee, Breckenridge 471, Westvleteren - all that have been requested many times.

I found the Arrogant Bastard show the most interesting. Talking through the process of cloning and constructing the recipe was by far more interesting than listening to an interview with the brewer, at least for me. Your opinion may vary!

breyton wrote:+1

Seems like the show is just brewing beers based on brewers they can get on the phone. If you rank all the requests made to CYBI, I doubt Riggwelter had any votes.... I know the show is trying to gather an international audience, but lets stick to the beers your BN Army supporters are actually asking for.
Datamike

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?