Nogne #100

Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:45 am

Hi guys,

I listened to this show live and made a brew. Just finished cleaning up after the brew and I'm quite excited about this beer. Too bad it's going to be about 2 months until I should drink it.

Such a simple recipe sounds great. Just need to wait if the beer turns out really flavourful.

Here's the recipe from the show:

OG: 1.097
FG: 1.018
SRM: 17.5
IBU: 100
90min boil

8.8kg Thom Fawcett Maris Otter
1kg Wheat Malt
200grams Chocolate Malt

Hops
48g 13%AA Chinook 90min
60.6g 10.5%AA Centinniel 15min
30.3g 15% Colombus 0min
30.3g 13%AA Chinook Dry hopped

Ferment at 68F / 20ºC. Ramp it up to complete fermentation.

WLP007 Dry English Ale Yeast. I made a 4L starter as per Tasty. I had a 3L starter already the day before and ramped it up to a 4L starter.

I did the stepped mash as per the show. The brewer stated he did a simpler mash on the show IIRC 63ºC 60min and then 72ºC 15min. The idea is to make it as dry as possible so I did the step mash thing from the show. I think that will be perfect.

I've pitched and I think this will turn out well.

One of the good things about the CYBI shows is that you can get an idea from a brewery that other people like and brew it even if you haven't tasted the commercial beer. I think this will work out good.

Sorry, rambling on now as I've finished brewing now so I'm drunk.

Give me a drunk of the week.

Listen to the show when it hits the podcasts. It's a really good show because the brewer is a nice guy, gives good information and the beer is totally cloned from the responses. Too bad you need to wait two months to get the greatest out of the beer.

I said in the Chat that I would brew this this weekend and so I did. Tasting the wort, I think this beer will be great.

Great effort guys. That was a great show. Make sure you get the archive if you missed it.

Cheers
Simon

PS: I hope I haven't forgotten anything. It was a wonderful brew day (except for the rain). Hit the initial numbers, I'll post back in 2 months and let you know how it turned out.
"How's a beer sound, Norm?"
"I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in."
mauriceatron

Re: Nogne #100

Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:40 am

I really can't say enough nice things about Kjetil Jikiun and the Nøgne Ø brewery. It's great to get a show on this wonderful micro. And great that CYBI is also catering for those of us who don't have an unlimited supply of American craft beers.
Gahr Smith-Gahrsen, Bergen, Norway

7 Fjell Bryggeri and ABC Brewing
Gahr

Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:01 am

Yes, he gave great info in the interview and presented it in a format that Jamil loves. Percentages so Jamil could work out a recipe easily. All the base malts and their origins. Hops. Everything. It was a good show and, for me, quite inspiring as it made me take my WPL007 starter and pitch it to produce a beer which I haven't even tasted yet. Just like the Brown Shugga show did (except I didn't have a starter for that show!).

Cheers
"How's a beer sound, Norm?"
"I dunno. I usually finish them before they get a word in."
mauriceatron

Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:28 pm

Found a bottle of this and others from Nogne in a shop about 60 ilometres from me. At AUD $19 it seemed a bit steep but probably worth it. I opted for some Roachfort and Westmalle this time but will grab some Nogne in a few weeks.

love

g
"in the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king"....a person not quite as plastered as the rest (not a quote by RSM grod of the BN Army)
grod

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:52 pm

And be sure to thank Kjetil for taking the time to help us. Not every brewer is willing to take the time or be so generous with the information.
I hope my post helped in some way. If not, please feel free to contact me.

Jamil Zainasheff
http://www.mrmalty.com

"The yeast is strong within you." K. Zainasheff
jamilz

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:01 pm

Tasty's version was served at the Winter Beer Fest (without anyone knowing) and I was able to get a little more this last Monday. This is a really enjoyable strong beer, and will be on my brewing schedule at some point.
Got to love when a brewer is as open at the guy fron Nogne.
Thanks to person who requested this beer, and to Jamil for being coherent at 3:00 AM conducting the interview.
-Greg
-Otterbrew

On Tap at Home: Hella Hoppy Double IPA, Barley/Wheat Wine
Otterbrew

Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:07 am

Is it just me, or does it seem like there's been a sort of "Chinook hop renaissance" lately? For a while, a lot of homebrewers and authors were quite down on Chinook. Nice to see the comeback. Best IIPA I've made had a very early addition of Chinook for bittering.
"Canadians are always dreaming up a lotta ways to ruin our lives. The metric system, for the love of God! Celsius! Neil Young!" - Gus (Brad Sullivan), in "Canadian Bacon".
ScootsieDoubleday

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:14 am

grod wrote:Found a bottle of this and others from Nogne in a shop about 60 ilometres from me. At AUD $19 it seemed a bit steep but probably worth it. I opted for some Roachfort and Westmalle this time but will grab some Nogne in a few weeks.

love

g

Where would that shop be grod? I just listened to the show and have ordered some WLP007 from Dave's Homebrew Supplies so I can brew it.
whoateallthepies

Next

Return to The Jamil Show / Can You Brew It?